Experts Help!!!

BlueFlame

Hello, these questions may seem a little to crazy but I sure could use some help. I have been messing around with recording for less that a year now and I have owned a really elementary program named Ejay hip-hop 5. I want to start recording rap music but I am not sure what I need to start b/c I have searched and just cant get any awnsers. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money b/c I dont have it. I can buy each item one at a time. I would want my setup to be digital I guess. I dont understand what is what, such as a sampler or drum machine or can you even hook that up to the computer. I am not to smart on this subject so plz help.

BlueFlame said:
Hello, these questions may seem a little to crazy but I sure could use some help. I have been messing around with recording for less that a year now and I have owned a really elementary program named Ejay hip-hop 5. I want to start recording rap music but I am not sure what I need to start b/c I have searched and just cant get any awnsers. I dont want to spend a whole lot of money b/c I dont have it. I can buy each item one at a time. I would want my setup to be digital I guess. I dont understand what is what, such as a sampler or drum machine or can you even hook that up to the computer. I am not to smart on this subject so plz help.

you should do enough research that you can ask a specific question that can actually be answered.

can someone give this guy a link to something that would explain the recording processes/concepts involved

Ok im no expert but il tell you what i can.

you have a computer so now you need an interface to get your music into the computer like this, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=241730 or this www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Recording/Computer/Hardware?sku=703606
,these are just examples bet you get the idea, you will also need recording software like steinberg cubase or sony acid pro.

the next step is to decide if you want to be able to record vocals, if so you will need to buy a decent microphone like a studio projects b1 or a rode ntk, those should be enugh to get you started but its a massive and complicated world your getting yourself into but its a great experience at the same time.

good luck

Sorry for making the questions so broad. I have researched a little but I still get confused since there are so many setups and no visual images. I know this much however, I want to use my computer and some exterior equipment. I know my computer needs room so I have that under control and I am going to run either Cakewalk Home Studio XL or Sonar 5. This is where things get a little tricky to me. I know I want vocals so I need a mic (given). Now I need either a sound card, audio interface, Digidesign Mbox 2 Factory Bundle, or Computer recording interface and I am not sure which one I need. Now I know that that all those parts are where the mic or guitar, etc go in. I want to know do I need a keyboard (MIDI ....which I still dont understand). Then I wonder if I need an external mixer and drum machine pad..... My basic question is what setup would you use if you wanted a decent home studio that you could record R&B, Rap, and Hip-Hop. Plz help me out here.

well first off if you get the mbox you can only use the pro tools software that comes with it, yes you need some sort of midi controller, I think m audio and ederol make some good ones, you will need samples and a software sampler like kontakt to make your beats and all your synth stuff, you said you were going to buy all the gear a bit at a time so first of all i would get a pair of studio monitors a software sampler and some samples so that you can be making a start with these while you waiting to get the other stuff.

Back