Eq before compression

UKTexan

Hey all, ive seen that some people compress after applying eq to vocals. How is this acheived in cubase? Is it simply a case of sending vocal channel to a compression fx channel? Im new to this and previously used compression on an insert effect. My vocal currently sounds a bit like it gets louder and quieter in places, maybe i should put up an mp3?

90% of your leveling should be done using volume automation - Not compression.

That all said -- Yes, you generally want to *correctively* EQ before compression (as you don't want something that might not be there anymore to trigger the compressor - Usually). Shaping EQ can certainly be applied post compression for the same reason - well, the opposing reason actually.

I'm not a Cubaser, but somewhere in there you should be able to find/change the routing of whatever inserts you're using.

* Both EQ and compression would generally be done using inserts - not sends. When you want to affect *THE SIGNAL* you're going to use an insert. When you want to *ADD SOMETHING TO* the signal (verb, echo, modulative effects, etc.), you're going to use an auxiliary send.

There are EQ plugins that you use as an insert. You simply put one of those in before the compression plugin.

Now you simply have to decide whether you want to compress an EQ'd signal or EQ a compressed signal. Both have advantages and disadvantages.

Back