Drum Mic advice

Shanelor

So i just ordered an interface ( Tascam US1641) and now i need to start looking at some mics to record drums. I think i'm going to go with Snare, Bass, and 2 overheads, that seems to be the typical choice amongst most people's Home Studio's. I never really thought this through but i have a feeling i'm going to be spending a lot of money on accessories, bass mic boom stand, overhead boomstand, clips/mounts, XLR cables, etc. *sigh*.

My question is, Will my Audio-technica AT4040 condensor mic work as an overhead?

If so, i will only need to purchase 3 mics, i don't want to spend more than $200 on everything so what do you guys think would be 3 good mics to purchase? There's a couple Shure SM57's on craigslist for $60, but that doesn't include a cable or clip/mount, i hear they are good for Snare drums, so there would be no point in getting 2 of them right? just 1?

well anyways, i digress, anyone have any suggestions for some affordable (good sounding) bass/snare/overhead mic?

thanks!

Generally, overheads are two matched mics, so you capture an accurate stereo image of what's going on underneath...

So you could buy another AT4040, but they wouldn't be matched, but may be reasonably close.

I'm not a drummer, however, nor am I familiar with the AT4040....

My advice would be to save more. I'm pretty sure that you won't get everything you want for $200 and be happy with it... especially if that's including stands / cables... but wait for some drummers to come along... they might have a diferent opinion.

Back