Drum Machine Recording

RJS

I’m using a Boss DR-770 to record drums. I want to isolate the kick, snare, toms, etc. onto separate tracks. Is there any shortcut to this? Is it even possible? I’m thinking I’ll have to map out a pattern with each drum/cymbal played separately measure by measure…

Rich

from what I read, the sequencer has one track, so you can't mute tracks. Maybe you can mute notes?

The machine has 3 outputs which are fully assignable. You can kick, snare and others and you'll have an equivalent to the 3 mic technique. Or you can do multiple passes for 6, 9, 12 ... tracks.

Another way is to use an external sequencer and mute tracks or filter notes. Just record a count at the beginning using the same instrument (a stick). That way you yan align the tracks if they are messed up.

I don't have the machine, but hope that helps.

Cheers, Andrés

mine has 4 outputs. the individual outputs(2) im not sure if the 770 has them but my 660 does. thats your best bet . kick -ind.1 , snare -ind.2 -everything else l & R outputs.

My real problem is that I can't record a pattern and then route each drum to separate tracks. There's only the left and right outputs as well as an individual line on the rear of the unit.

So...if I want to track a measure of Kick, Snare, Kick, Snare with a hi hat on each beat, I would have to record each separately in order to assign them to different tracks (where they can each be treated with effects) rather than the the whole pattern assigned to one track whereby the effects are applied to all three components.

Do I need an additional piece of gear?

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Rich

I don't have any midi sequencers. I can record up to 8 tracks simultaneously (Korg 1600 DAW).

Rich

Back