Double Micing and Phase

Shadowamd

First post, long lurker ;)

I have a guitar cab double mic'd normally I go down the Sennheiser MD / 57 route, but I bought an AKG dynamic over the weekend and trying it out. I love the mix of the two, it does sound nice but I'm struggling to get the phase to cancel? I played around as much as I could aligning the capsules, does it have to completely cancel or can you get away with a little bit?

Just to note, I'm using Pro tools 10 HD native and I am using the trim plug for checking phase :D

Are you attempting a null test? Using two different mics they will never completely cancel. Go for the spot where there is the biggest level drop. Don't forget to re-invert the polarity of one mic.

Honestly, I prefer one close mic (dynamic) and one far mic (condenser or ribbon). I don't even try to match them up during tracking but do it later in the DAW.

Just bolting on a +1 here. No two mics will ever cancel on a source.
It's good to know, and to understand, but I wouldn't even necessarily focus on getting as close as you can.

Just focus on getting a great sound. :)

Thanks guy's It's good to know, even though I have been doing this 14 years I'm still experimenting.. It's good to make sure I'm not going crazy :D It seems I can get the correlation a lot closer with the MD421 57 and can hear some slight phasing when I bring the second mic's up. I know this double micing single speaker is a well known technique used by some big producers, on all the tracks I did before I mic'd the left and right speaker of the amp, but I have had to downsize the studio and my amp's equip has all changed. I feel a little lost....

True but as in all things, trust what you can actually hear. And I agree that a single close mic is what does it for me. I've done a lot of experimentation (as EVERYONE should) and have rarely used the second close mic (with the exception of miking the back of a open back combo amp). Distant mics I like but only if you have a decent room.

Back