Does anyone know how to make mp3's stream only?

Freudian Slip

Builkding a site and I would like to make the mp3's on it stream only.
Would anyone happen to know how to do that? Wondering if it's all in the player or what.

Thanks

F.S.

This is a free MP3 streaming player you can put on your site:

http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/

And yes, it is mostly in the player. Some programs like QuickTime or RealPlayer will automatically stream MP3s on the web.

But if you want it to work for everyone then you need a streaming player on your site. Embedding the Windows Media Player control in your site will also work, but that's an ActiveX control and might not work for everyone (security settings in Internet Explorer can prevent ActiveX controls from loading). The Flash player should be good, as most people have flash installed.

If you need help setting it up, there's some info in on the site or I can help.

danny.guitar said:
This is a free MP3 streaming player you can put on your site:

http://musicplayer.sourceforge.net/

And yes, it is mostly in the player. Some programs like QuickTime or RealPlayer will automatically stream MP3s on the web.

But if you want it to work for everyone then you need a streaming player on your site. Embedding the Windows Media Player control in your site will also work, but that's an ActiveX control and might not work for everyone (security settings in Internet Explorer can prevent ActiveX controls from loading). The Flash player should be good, as most people have flash installed.

If you need help setting it up, there's some info in on the site or I can help.

Thanks man:)

So this won't allow people to save the file? That's my main concern.

Edit: It let me down load the song.

I could link to the soundclick player but I don't want their advertisements :o

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
Thanks man:)

So this won't allow people to save the file? That's my main concern.

Edit: It let me down load the song.

I could link to the soundclick player but I don't want their advertisements :o

F.S.

There's nothing that will prevent someone from downloading your song.

Anyone can record the sound coming from their speakers. This is beyond your control. I can set my inputs to Mixer-In and anything coming from my speakers will be recorded.

But most computer users won't know how. And if people like your music enough to record it then they will probably just buy it. ;)

I would also link to SoundClick because it gives people the option of buying your music. Putting that into your website will take some work. Unless you already have that built into your site.

Edit: Also, the MP3 file can be downloaded from any site (even SoundClick) that supports streaming. This is harder than recording what comes out of the speakers, but it's still definitely possible.

danny.guitar said:
There's nothing that will prevent someone from downloading your song.

Anyone can record the sound coming from their speakers. This is beyond your control. I can set my inputs to Mixer-In and anything coming from my speakers will be recorded.

But most computer users won't know how. And if people like your music enough to record it then they will probably just buy it. ;)

I would also link to SoundClick because it gives people the option of buying your music. Putting that into your website will take some work. Unless you already have that built into your site.

Edit: Also, the MP3 file can be downloaded from any site (even SoundClick) that supports streaming. This is harder than recording what comes out of the speakers, but it's still definitely possible.

Ya soundclick is probley the most secure way to go, cause you can't simpley right click it and hit save. Hmmmm. Have to think it over. the other option it to put up 30 second cutts faded in and out all nice.

Thanks again:)

F.S.

Freudian Slip said:
Ya soundclick is probley the most secure way to go, cause you can't simpley right click it and hit save. Hmmmm. Have to think it over. the other option it to put up 30 second cutts faded in and out all nice.

Thanks again:)

F.S.

Well, I remember reading that there is a fix for the XSPF player so it will not allow a simple right-click download.

Not sure where I saw that but I'll try and find it again. Otherwise, there are other flash players out there that do not provide that option, some free, others not. So it's not like SoundClick is your only option.

With that said, SoundClick is a good place to link to so people can buy/listen to your music. So I would not remove it from your site, but I would also find a good flash player so people can listen to your music directly on your website.

Most flash players that are not free can be customized to match your site and will be as secure as SoundClick's player. And they are not expensive at all.

But if you want to do the "30 seconds then fade out" like Amazon.com does, then that's always an option. Although, personally, I might make it a little longer, like at least a minute. :p

ANYTHING that goes across the web can be saved on the other end.

There are programs like "Total Recorder" that record any sound going through a computer and saves it as a .wav file.

Short demos (or putting in a "Thanks for listening to my song" vox clip in the middle over the music) is the only way to protect it.

I'd be interested in finding such a player as well. And yes, there is a way to get just about any kind of music f it is going through the "Wave" channel fo your sound card... but most people probably don't know that - nor do they want to spend the time ripping stuff in realtime...

Im sure some would and will, but most? Probably not. Once they see they can't "Save As" they'll give up.

Chalk one up to the American lack of exploration and out-of-the-box thinking... which is funny, since that was what our country was supposedly founded based on... but thats for another discussion :)

Of course, this all comes back to my general belief that when you are starting out fresh, you shouldn't be charging for your music anyway, so you might as well make it free online, and downloadable. In that case you wouldn't have to worry about whether it can be right-click save-as'd :)

Thanks Guys, I just wanted to keep hones people honest so to speak.
In my case (which is not a band site) I think I will just put them up as downloadable for now. It's all copyrighted anyway :rolleyes:

Thanks again all :)

F.S.

Back