Do you mix every single song you make? Or mix the ones you put on your project?

Pirez05

Hello all,

Have a simple question here: Do you mix every single song you make? Or mix the ones you put on your project?

Currently trying to find how other people do it. Right now, I am mixing every song I make but i'm starting to feel my creative juice being neglected because mixing can be a long and tedious process.

Should I make rough mixes of finished songs and then only really mix and master the songs I pick for a project/mixtape?

What does everyone else do!

It really doesn't matter. It's all down to personality and preferences.

For example, I find tracking tedious, but I really enjoy mixing, so I have no probl;em with mixing everything.

On the other hand, tracking and mixing are, for me, not totally separate activities. I tend to mix as I go along. That means that by the time I've finished trackng, the song is pretty much all mixed anyway, and there are usually only some minor adjustments to be made at that stage.

For me, mixing is part of the songwriting process, so I mix every song. However, when it isn't feeling right, I stop and move on to the next idea.

For me: write, re-write, track, mix. I will sometimes be writing a new song (or more than 1) during the mix process, but seldom start tracking another one until I have the first one to a certain point. When I have the songs 'ready' for a full project (album release), then I go back and start relistening and playing with the mixes. At some point I may decide that a particular songs doesn't fit the vibe of the project, so put it aside.

My aim is certainly to mix every song. For me there's no point in writing and recording a song if it's not going to be mixed. That's like buying and washing the ingredients then cutting them up and cooking a meal but not eating it.
Now, I will go for great lengths of time not mixing so I may end up with a stockpile of songs to mix. I'm always in that situation because I've always got multiple songs on the go in various stages of completion. They'll all end up in albums sooner or later.

Back