direct X ????

havastrat

What is Direct X? Is it software, or a combination of a sound card with software? Or is it something a person is born with? Where can I buy it? All I ever hear about it is that it is so wonderful when combined with other sequencing software, but I cannot find out what it is or who sells it, or what , exactly, it is supposed to do.

Thanks much!

It's part of Windows. It's basically a set of programming interfaces to hardware devices (sound cards, video cards) so that they can operate responsively. The "wonderful" part with sequencers has to do with the fact that effects processing programs can be wriiten in a standard form that lets you apply them in any program that supports DirectX. The newest version also enables hearing these effects in real time while recording and also software synthesizers.

Whoa there, that's an old version you're pointing to there, unless perhaps you are running Windows 95 still.

You no doubt have DirectX on your computer already; but you might have an older version. Some things require at least version 7, and some things require version 8 for full functionality of new features (for example, SONAR from Cakewalk).

Use the Windows Update feature if you have Win 98 -- if you don't have the latest version it will show up in the list of suggested downloads.

Back