Direct monitoring

SoundsGreat

I'm new to this forum and new to home recording. As a voiceover artist, I record only voice. My setup: Audiophile 2496 sound card, DBX286A pre-amp, Alto S-6 mixer, Rode NT1000 mic, AKG k240 headphones and Cool Edit Pro v.2. My OS is XP.

I have the mic plugged into the preamp, the preamp is also plugged into the soundcard and the headphones and soundcard are plugged into the mixer.

I've made my Audiophile 2496 sound card my default sound card (I also have SB!Live).

Finally, the question :) : I can't hear myself in the headphones while I am recording. I am able to hear the playback of the recording through the headphones but would ideally like to be able to hear myself as I am recording. The folks who sold me the hardware told me that CEP is the culprit - it doesn't allow direct monitoring through the headphones.

Having worked in computer support for many years I tend to be a little suspicious when the hw guys blame the sw guys and vice versa.

Are they correct in their analysis? Is there any way I can monitor myself while recording?

Thanks.

Elaine

I would have put the mic into the pre-amp then the mixer then had an output of the mixer to the soundcard. That way you can monitor from the mixer via headphones.

The computer should be acting as a tape recorder connected to the mixer.

Connect the soundcard to the "tape in/out" on your mixer.

Connect the "control room out" of your mixer to your hi fi - Which obviously you don't want on when you are recording.

Connect your headphones to the mixer's headphones socket.

I was thinking of buying the alto s6 and possibly the audiophile 2496 if I dont end up getting the maya mk2.

Just wondering how you like the quality and ease of use etc...I am new myself and am probably buying soon.

Thanks

and also, can I ask why you have a preamp in addition to the mixer? I thought most mixers, including the alto s6 has built in preamps on the mic channels (maybe even with phantom power).

Maybe a newbie question, but hey, thats what I am ;)

cincy_kid said:
and also, can I ask why you have a preamp in addition to the mixer? I thought most mixers, including the alto s6 has built in preamps on the mic channels (maybe even with phantom power).

Maybe a newbie question, but hey, thats what I am ;)

I actually bought the preamp before I bought the mixer (thought I could get away without the mixer). I was told that the preamps on the mixers are not as good as a separate preamp - which makes sense I guess. I imagine though that you could probably get away without a separate preamp.

protein said:
I would have put the mic into the pre-amp then the mixer then had an output of the mixer to the soundcard. That way you can monitor from the mixer via headphones.

The computer should be acting as a tape recorder connected to the mixer.

Are you saying the mic should be plugged into both the pre-amp and the mixer? How do I do that?

protein said:
Connect the soundcard to the "tape in/out" on your mixer.

Connect the "control room out" of your mixer to your hi fi - Which obviously you don't want on when you are recording.

Connect your headphones to the mixer's headphones socket.

Thanks for your suggestions. The place where I bought the mixer first suggested this (without the hi fi piece) but then decided it would create feedback problems. In your scenario, would the hi fi take care of any possible feedback problems?

SoundsGreat said:
Are you saying the mic should be plugged into both the pre-amp and the mixer? How do I do that?

It goes Mic --> Pre-amp --> Mixer -->PC. If you use external pre-amp like that, route Pre-amp's output to mixer's Line in, not mic in, because the mic is already pre-amp'd. On board pre-amp is acceptable for home recorder, but once you raise your expectation, dedicated pre-amp will do better (assuming the mic & room is all okay).

SoundsGreat said:
In your scenario, would the hi fi take care of any possible feedback problems?
Yes, if you record in the same room. It's when headphone takes places for monitoring.

;)
Jaymz

Back