Digital(?) recording

I record Blues (capradio.org) Now, I don't know the quality of the stream,but it sounds good .My way about this is probably
unorthidox and hopefully you can set me straight.
So, I record the 4 hour show by going out of the sound card(E-MU 1212) to A Home DVD recorder.
After I finalize the disc I make another copy but without the talking and the 5 minutes of news at the top of the hour.
My question:With the DVD player going IN to soundcard how can I put that onto the hard drive?

I record Blues (capradio.org) Now, I don't know the quality of the stream,but it sounds good .My way about this is probably
unorthidox and hopefully you can set me straight.
So, I record the 4 hour show by going out of the sound card(E-MU 1212) to A Home DVD recorder.
After I finalize the disc I make another copy but without the talking and the 5 minutes of news at the top of the hour.
My question:With the DVD player going IN to soundcard how can I put that onto the hard drive?

Hi Dave, Assuming that 1212 is a PCI/PCIe card you should be able to loop PC sound back and record the show internally . I do this all the time with my M-A 2496 cards and Samplitude. I just set a stereo track to "Monitor Mix" and record Radio 3 or whatever is outputting on the monitors.

In fact you don't even need the E-mu! You can set the internal Realtek to "Stereo Mix" or some such and it will record the audio stream. There is no quality hit because you are recording a data stream as a data stream.

But to answer about the DVD? Just put it in the PC's optical drive and do the same thing, record the Mon Mix. You cannot rip DVD sound except in real time AFAIK without special software (I have Adobe Audition 1.5 and that can do it) ...Or!

Connect the DVD to the E-mu via a digital link (S/PDIF) dvd is always optical AFAIK but I think the 1212 has optical and co ax? If only co ax a converter is only 15quid or so.

Last of all, and least best is to take the line RCA audio from the DVD and feed that to soundcard.

Don't know what DAW software you are using Dave but Audacity can do all this.

Dave.

Dave, pretty sure I've checked what my connection options are...Limited so I'll give Audacity A try.
Thanks fo the post

I have attached the settings in samplitude from my laptop playing sounds from another program (could be radio) .
You can see the meters moving and the input set for "stereo Mix" If you have Win 7, even XP you can do this.

Dave.

Attachments

• sam stereo mix.png
    sam stereo mix.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 76
If I am not mistaken, you could rip the sound directly by using a video editing software which has the sound separated from the video. The one I use, cheap one, Sony's MovieStudio allows to open audio in an editor (this case Audacity), once there, export as required. Should work.

If I am not mistaken, you could rip the sound directly by using a video editing software which has the sound separated from the video. The one I use, cheap one, Sony's MovieStudio allows to open audio in an editor (this case Audacity), once there, export as required. Should work.

Is that in real time DM or quicker?

Dave.

Talking about the DVD audio, it is digital transfer (for lack of a better word). Since the Video software has the digital version, you just transfer audio from the video to the audio editor. Takes about 5 seconds (give or take a few seconds).

Does my explanation make sense?

"Does my explanation make sense?"

I am sure it does ! But just let this med ridden old brain make sure!
Effectively the video software has ripped the sound data from the DVD file? This is what I have not been able to do in anything I could find but very recently found that AA1.5 could do it (might have been a dream! Will check.)

Dave.

On the DVD standard, Audio is separate from the video. If I am not mistaken, 5.1 audio is separate from the stereo as well. But, it requires software to to be able to read the file formats (Video, Audio, Audio 5.1). You could get a demo of some video editing software and you will see the audio in a separate track. That is what is being exported to the audio software.

I don't consider it ripping as it is just a digital file that is being imported. Ripping, to me, is a real time conversion from one format (CD in this case) to another format. Semantics.

Back