Difference between high-end and low-end interfaces?

Enjoi

So I own a M-Audio USB Seriers Audio interface. Basically my set up it...Guitar > Preamp > Computer (via usb out of Preamp)
or if I'm recording piano I use my Roland straight into my computer.

The mobile pre series is pretty cheap, what's the different between it and say, a high end preamp interface. Right now all I'm recording is guitar, piano, vocals and drums. So I running only 2 mics maximum ever.

Quality control
Quality components
Quality connectors
And OPTIONS

Most of which translates into reliability and capability.

The mobile pre has so-so preamps, but you can feed it from better preamps. It's also limited to 16/48, which might mean running your levels a bit hotter than might be safe to do. It's also mostly plastic, so the odds of it surviving you backing over it with the car is low. And/Or if the A/C in your facility is out, the odds of it surviving the much hotter than average working conditions could be low. Or if you just live in Texas and record outdoors in the summer. It's a very capable device within it's limits for it's price range. But if you're under contract to deliver results or be put out of business... Perhaps not the optimal choice.

Mostly the preamps though. Some mics are ultra sensitive to having a full 48V phantom power. And some sources are quiet which really makes the noise specs of every component important.

My interface doesn't even perform the conversion (allowing me to choose which converters I want for the specific task).

Back