Difference Between Audio Being Recorded (bad) and Playback of Recorded Audio (good)

pettor

Hi!

I recently setup a mini-studio using Steinberg UR22 sound card, Cubase AI 7 and a PC laptop (Realtek audio card). I use a Nord Stage 2 keyboard and both MIDI and "real-time audio" recording. The setup looks like this (where my Nord Stage 2 is connected to the two line-in connectors on UR22):

Steinberg Recommended Connection for UR22

Everything works fine except one thing. When listening to the audio from the Nord Stage 2 using the headphone jack on the UR22 it sounds a bit muzzled, like it's being played in a box. If I record that audio (still listening to it from the headphone jack) and then playback the recording it sounds perfect, exactly like the sound I would have got if I connected the headphoens directly to my Nord Stage 2! I have recorded the two different versions using an audio recorder connected to the headphone jack on the UR22:

The "bad" (listening while recording) version

The "good" (listening to the recorded audio) version

The difference is quite clear from the recordings. I don't really understand why this happens. There's not a lot of configuration to do on the UR22 itself and I have twisted and turned every knob without success.

I am very grateful for any help regarding this issue!

First one is mono, second one stereo. This is happening because L & R inputs are panned to the center (for monitoring). If the UR22 has a control panel you should pan the inputs hard left & right.

Why do I have to download an installer or some other fileshare crap just to listen to those clips?

I KNOW I am not 'puter/web smart but I don't see why I should risk it?

Dave.

First one is mono, second one stereo. This is happening because L & R inputs are panned to the center (for monitoring). If the UR22 has a control panel you should pan the inputs hard left & right.

Aha, that makes sense. The UR22 doesn't have any stereo mixing monitoring option. I checked the Roland UA-22 and on the back it can switch between mono and stereo monitoring. It looks like this:

UA-22 Connections

The "Direct Monitoring" switch is what I am searching for right? Would it take the left and right channel from the line-in connectors and transfer them to the left and right earphone if stereo was switched on?

Why do I have to download an installer or some other fileshare crap just to listen to those clips?

I KNOW I am not 'puter/web smart but I don't see why I should risk it?

Dave.

Hi Dave. I don't think you have to install anything! Just press "Download" and wait until the new "Donwload" button is visible. Press it and the .WAV-file should be downloaded without any additional software!

Hi Dave. I don't think you have to install anything! Just press "Download" and wait until the new "Donwload" button is visible. Press it and the .WAV-file should be downloaded without any additional software!

Well, WTGR it SAYS there is an installer and a fileshare "thing". I am fed up with getting such timewasting crap on my PCs so can you not attach the clips as MP3s?

Dave.

Well, WTGR it SAYS there is an installer and a fileshare "thing". I am fed up with getting such timewasting crap on my PCs so can you not attach the clips as MP3s?

Dave.

Aha, I didn't know it was possible to attach mp3-files. I think AgoSeidy is correct with the mono / stereo mixing. There more I listen to it I can see how it actually would sound good if the channels were mixed in left and right channel.

Attachments

• BAD Recording Sound.mp3
    201.6 KB · Views: 11
  • GOOD Recorded Sound.mp3
    271.6 KB · Views: 7
Aha, I didn't know it was possible to attach mp3-files. I think AgoSeidy is correct with the mono / stereo mixing. There more I listen to it I can see how it actually would sound good if the channels were mixed in left and right channel.

Ooo! My hearing is getting worse! I THINK I can detect a difference in sound quality but if I wasn't told, hand on heart I doubt I would know!

One point, (ta for the MP3s BTW!) when you send in clips for peeps to compare try to match levels? These are out by about 4dB.

Dave (the tekky, pedantic one!)

Back