Delta 1010lt, more trouble than its worth?

JonLadell

Recently a friend of mine gifted me 2 m-audio delta 1010lt with the breakout boxes. Unfortunately he didn’t give me the 16 channel mixer with it haha. So my question would be, is there a mixer with maybe 4 -8 channels with I/O I can get cheap. Also, what are the breakout boxes for actually? Thanks

Recently a friend of mine gifted me 2 m-audio delta 1010lt with the breakout boxes. Unfortunately he didn’t give me the 16 channel mixer with it haha. So my question would be, is there a mixer with maybe 4 -8 channels with I/O I can get cheap. Also, what are the breakout boxes for actually? Thanks

If you have a Win 7 desktop (better XP!) then the card is probably worth fitting as a way to get multitracks into the PC. But! Hang on minute?

The 1010 "El Tee" did not have a breakout box that was just the Delta 1010. You are not calling the wee D sub cable that does MIDI and S/PDIF a "breakout box" are you?

I shall have to go and refresh my memory of the 1010 but for now is you have the PCI slots and the cards work ok you have got a very decent setup with very low latency, only recently bettered by USB and TB interfaces. I have a 2496 still installed in one desktop I had 3 at one point (in other PCs, not linked) The cards work very reliably with none of the frigging about with shronky drivers you can get with USB kit!

Mixer? You really want Direct Outs but one with inserts would serve. Some here might say "why 'king bother? Get a PROPER modern AI!" But,
A) maybe you don't have the cash for that?
B) you are being 'Green' and recycling a very usable product.
C) Fun!

Oil be Bek!

Dave.

M-Audio Delta 1010 PCI Sound Card + 1RU Breakout Box

This is what was giving to me. I’m still on Windows 7 64bit on my computer, hopefully I should still be good.
I know it’s a solid interface, and although it was giving to me, I still have to buy a good mixer with enough I/O to do what I need it for( recording drums mainly). The prices on suggested mixers ive seen are still pretty expensive. I’m wondering if I’d be better off just spending the money on a 8 channel usb interface instead, it would be around the same price

JonLadell

Where are you located in the world? US, Oz, UK?

By 'interface' I think what you're meaning is a mixer with a USB out, right? If that's the case, you're probably right about it being easier, but I don't know about cheaper and more than likely not 'better' unless you spend the money on a 'decent' one.

One advantage to going the USB mixer route is that is would be more portable, as in from one machine to another. You'll be somewhat limited going forward with a 1010. I didn't even know you could get Win7 drivers for it.

Also, the 1010 you linked is the full-fledged 1010, not the 1010LT you originally mentioned. The LT does not have a physical breakout box, but what I would call a breakout 'snake'. Which do you have?

Either way, The 1010s were before you could get a usb mixer, and if you're recording multitrack SIMULTANEOUSLY, you're pretty much going to need a mixer, unless you have a bunch of individual preamps.

I guess what I should be asking, is what do want to DO with your setup? Is it just you at home, or you and a friend, or are you wanting to record your band playing live in the room (multitracked, not just a pair of room mics)?

If it turns out that you don't want to go the 1010 route, let me know. I could potentially be interested in one of them, as I have an old PC that I'd like to use for something.

Yes you probably can get mixers of the 1010's vintage and older "dirt cheap" but that is because they need work. The pots and switches will probably crackle like f*k and some will need recapping. Really old ones will have op amps of dubious noise performance. The microphone preamps MIGHT have transformer front end in which case they could be low noise but the first transformerless pres were noisy, low gain, prone to RFI and produced more distortion than the rest of the circuitry. Fine when tape was king with 3%THD and a 65dB noise floor (IF you were lucky!) Not so fine for a digital system with a noise floor better than -90dB fs (my 2496 delivers -93ish and a blip of that is 50Hz hum).

The combination of a mixer and the 1010 IS large, cumbersome and clunky and will be a rats nest of cables but, it will deliver a sound quality as good as any mid priced multitrack USB AI, almost certainly lower latency and if my experience over 10 years with the Delta cards? ZERO driver hassle.

Dave.

Yeah, that's why I was asking what he wants to do with it, like you originally did. I'm guessing he's a newbie and perhaps fidelity isn't his main concern - yet. But I would think an old Yamaha mixer would probably get him whre he wants to go for now. But, of course, we still don't know where he wants to go.

BTW, ecc83, can you get me a a deal on a used Blackstar-equipped Tardis in good shape? I want to go back and see if I can find my hair.

Yeah, that's why I was asking what he wants to do with it, like you originally did. I'm guessing he's a newbie and perhaps fidelity isn't his main concern - yet. But I would think an old Yamaha mixer would probably get him whre he wants to go for now. But, of course, we still don't know where he wants to go.

BTW, ecc83, can you get me a a deal on a used Blackstar-equipped Tardis in good shape? I want to go back and see if I can find my hair.

Hah! The four original directors of Blackstar sported shaved pates so I doubt they would be interested in helping you find fur!

BTW, did you know they now have a 60 and 120W acoustic guitar amp out? Also sports an XLR mic input.

Dave.

Hah! The four original directors of Blackstar sported shaved pates so I doubt they would be interested in helping you find fur!

BTW, did you know they now have a 60 and 120W acoustic guitar amp out? Also sports an XLR mic input.

Dave.

I didn't expect them to help me. That's what the Tardis is for. I just thought the amp would be a nice addition to the package, since I'd need something small.

I have no use for an acoustic amp. That's for people that play out, which will never be me again.

If it turns out that you don't want to go the 1010 route, let me know. I could potentially be interested in one of them, as I have an old PC that I'd like to use for something.

Would you be interested in a free (+shipping) Delta 44? Mine has been out of a computer for nearly a decade now, but I *think* it still works. I don't have an old-school PCI slot to test it any more. But heck, I know you'd put it to good use :)

I’m in the US. Ok, I may have the full fledge delta 1010, what I linked is what was given to me, plus some cables. My plan is to have it in my main pc in my recording room, that I’m working on. I have a behringer mixer with balance or unbalance inserts I was hoping to use as outputs for the individual channels

I’m in the US. Ok, I may have the full fledge delta 1010, what I linked is what was given to me, plus some cables. My plan is to have it in my main pc in my recording room, that I’m working on. I have a behringer mixer with balance or unbalance inserts I was hoping to use as outputs for the individual channels

Er? confused! Does the mixer have balanced inserts, unbalanced inserts or both? Model number of the mixer please.

Dave.

Would you be interested in a free (+shipping) Delta 44? Mine has been out of a computer for nearly a decade now, but I *think* it still works. I don't have an old-school PCI slot to test it any more. But heck, I know you'd put it to good use :)

Do you remember what the latest OS was that it would work on? Pretty sure the one I'm wanting something for is an XP.

Do you remember what the latest OS was that it would work on? Pretty sure the one I'm wanting something for is an XP.

My 2496 works fine on W7 and I did try it briefly on W10 and it did at least play back but I hated W10 so much I swiftly rolled back to 7.

We need to know which inserts OP has because it impacts on the cables needed. Much simpler to go with balanced outs as he does not need to faff with special TRS cables.

Dave.

I last used it on Windows 7, on whichever build of the OS was current when I replaced the interface in about 2013. It's been in its original box ever since then. I hope that time (and a couple of house moves) have been kind to it!

Back