Is the default on FL studio stereo or mono?

Dehaan

When I look at the inserts on FL studio, on the stereo seperation knob it says "original". All the way to the right = 100% merged( is it "mono"?). All the way to the left is "100% seperated" (stereo?)

If I keep everything as "original" , will my song be in mono or stereo?
And when I use a waves plugin, must I use the stereo one or the mono one?

From the FL Studio 20 Reference Manual :

Stereo Separation - The stereo separation filter allows you to enhance or reduce any existing stereo effect in the track. The middle (default) position is disabled. Turn the knob right to decrease the stereo separation (sum L+R to mono), turn left to increase stereo separation. NOTE: This control has no stereo effect on mono sounds as it works by processing the difference between the L and R channels, if there is no difference then there is no stereo to enhance. For details on how it works see the Stereo Shaper Expansion tutorial.

How do I know if my track is in mono or stereom
? It was recorded in mono but after delaying the left and right channel at different amounts, the signal volume differs between the left and right channel. So is it now a stereo track? - so i must use stereo plugins on it?

How do I know if my track is in mono or stereom
? It was recorded in mono but after delaying the left and right channel at different amounts, the signal volume differs between the left and right channel. So is it now a stereo track? - so i must use stereo plugins on it?

Don't know FL but a "Stereo Width Control" is a different process from a "Stereo Simulator" where a mono track is turned into a form of 'spacial sound', as you say by devious delay devices. (but then, for all I know, FL might combine both functions in the same pluggin?)

What is or is not "Stereo" is something of a debate. Some say only a live signal picked up by two microphones is "true" stereo (some even go further and say only Co-I, XY recordings are 'proper' stereo!)

The process of collecting a group of individual mono tracks and panning them about the sound stage is, some say, NOT true stereo....Yer pays yer money....

Dave.

FL records in stereo. Some may be Mono input converted to a L/R signal - not true stereo.

The Shaper and Separator can manipulate these in so many ways and the manual's descriptions are complicated.

The reference manual has an overload of info on this which makes it difficult to resolve without a hands on approach. I don't have FL so I'll back off here.

Back