De Esser vs. Multiband Limiter/comp

Auggybendoggy

It seems a Multiband limiter can be a De esser by limiting or compressing the high frequencies. Am I right about that? Perhaps a De esser focuses more tightly than a multiband. Any thoughts?

Depends on the de-esser, though usually they do have fixed bandwidths and multibands are usually adjustable. Some de-essers have the ability to work at low frequencies, and some have more of a shelf than a band that they work above/below. Some of the de-essers in channel strip plug ins are super versatile for tone shaping/spot taming rogue freq. I use de-essers for all kinds of instruments at all kinds of frequencies to get a reign in of "poke out" stuff that is in a range that I don't want to put an eq cut.

Gtoboy, thanks for the feedback. I'm currently picking up free modules from IK multi's Tracks sale. I have the quad limiter already, and from what I gathered from your insight, the de-esser has some unique qualities (I'm referring to your "shelf" statement, not sure what shelf means) that the quad band limiter may not be suitable for. So I think I'll pick up the Quad De-esser.

Back