DBX compressor setup for DJ mixes

marchvet

I have some turntables/mixer/MPC running out to a soundcraft compact 10. The compact 10 goes out to a m-audio firewire solo.

Just purchased a DBX 266XL compressor/gate and wanted to know the best method to hook it up.

My thoughts were to run the soundcraft 10 monitor out to the DBX and then the DBX to the firewire solo. Trying to compress my sound before it hits the soundcard I guess??

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have some turntables/mixer/MPC running out to a soundcraft compact 10. The compact 10 goes out to a m-audio firewire solo.

Just purchased a DBX 266XL compressor/gate and wanted to know the best method to hook it up.

My thoughts were to run the soundcraft 10 monitor out to the DBX and then the DBX to the firewire solo. Trying to compress my sound before it hits the soundcard I guess??

A compressor should be the last thing in your chain , or used as an insert on any channel.
Where as a gate would be at the front end to open and close much like an auto on/off switch.

:cool:

It looks like you already have the right idea where to put it in the chain.

Why do you need a compressor? What kind of music are you mixing? A lot of stuff DJs play is already heavily compressed so the last thing they'd need is a compressor.

I'm not sure if it's the case with the XL version, but the older Project 1 version of the 266 had a bad habit of clicking on bass notes, though it works okay on vocals.

Mostly old soul, electro, hiphop. I also have a MPC 1000 on the mixing board as well.

My mixes/beats seem thin and I wanted to beef them up a little, so there is less post production.

I hope what you described doesn't happen when I get this setup.

Mostly old soul, electro, hiphop. I also have a MPC 1000 on the mixing board as well.

My mixes/beats seem thin and I wanted to beef them up a little, so there is less post production.

I hope what you described doesn't happen when I get this setup.

Anything you can do on your overall mix with a cheap hardware compressor you can do better ITB with plugins.

Unless you need to do the mixes realtime you can do them better ITB as well, but I understand wanting to stay with a familiar technique.

Thanks Boulder, I agree. There will be times when I will be doing live broadcast, so that is another reason for the compressor.

Then again, this is all new to me even after all these years.

Thanks for the valuable information, its greatly appreciated.

Back