db level into a compressor

audiopwhipped

Hello. My noob question... I have a compressor which I presume likes a +4db signal. I plan on using a small sample based drum machine which has a small jack out. I presume this is -10db output, as I've read that this is the conventional home line out db? So what is the easiest way to get my level up and drive my comp correctly? I don't have a mixer with inserts as the manual suggests. The manual also suggest a mic pre-amp but doesn't give details. There are a lot out there and I don't want to waste money or time. Is it best in my case to use a pre-amp that allows a line in like the Golden Age Project Pre-73 Jr, and which has a mic gain range of 20-70db (does this gain also work for the line). How much gain is necessary to reach +4 from a mic or non pro line? I hope that makes sense and thanks.:guitar:

It has always been a mystery to me why nobody, AFAICT, produces a small, battery/rat powered level lifting device that can give the 12dB of so boost needed here?

Some back of envelope scratching shows, powered from 2 PP3 batteries such a gizmo could have an output of around +18dBu (+24dBu if a "proper" balanced out) and so could easily drive most outboard gear, though not full "professional" converters if only +18dBu.

Maybe messrs Orchid Electronics have something? Will have a varder. You could MAKE one!

Dave. (Oh! If only I had the eyes and energy I did at 60! Be a miwyonare now Rodney)

What surprise me is the fact people don't try things any more, but worry about numbers! Surely you slap the cables in first and try it and see how hard the drum machine can drive it. Not all compressors assume a +4 input some have jack inputs for matching with non +4 equipment.plug
it in and turn it up!

No, Orchid do nothing (tho' I sure they would make a custom unit) There is a device that has led me a merry chase for speccs'! The Ebtec converter but it is a passive, transformer device and nearly100 quid!

I found a pre amp from ATL. Well, "found"? Looked for a price, discontinued. So, it seems, make your own or buy a wee mixer. There is another option, if you can find a schematic for the compressor it should be possible to mod the front end for more gain.

Dave.

It has always been a mystery to me why nobody, AFAICT, produces a small, battery/rat powered level lifting device that can give the 12dB of so boost needed here?

Some back of envelope scratching shows, powered from 2 PP3 batteries such a gizmo could have an output of around +18dBu (+24dBu if a "proper" balanced out) and so could easily drive most outboard gear, though not full "professional" converters if only +18dBu.

Maybe messrs Orchid Electronics have something? Will have a varder. You could MAKE one!

Dave. (Oh! If only I had the eyes and energy I did at 60! Be a miwyonare now Rodney)

Because line Level boost needs to be at a quality as you are putting an amplifier into the signal, so a cheap gizmo can sound cheap. I had a 24 channel -10dB to +4dB rack mounted unit built, 24amps powered with a power supply, Was not cheap.

I have some -10dB signals running around the studio and I just adjust the input to suit as Boulder says. If the output is too hot you can bring that down too.

Alan.

Because line Level boost needs to be at a quality as you are putting an amplifier into the signal, so a cheap gizmo can sound cheap. I had a 24 channel -10dB to +4dB rack mounted unit built, 24amps powered with a power supply, Was not cheap.

I have some -10dB signals running around the studio and I just adjust the input to suit as Boulder says. If the output is too hot you can bring that down too.

Alan.

Well, need not be THAT expensive for two channels? A couple of NE5532s, better LM 4562 and for up to say 15dB of gain the noise and distortion would be well under -100dBu*. My idea for an 18V supply just limits final headroom but would be easily enough to drive all projjy studio AIs well past 0dBFS.

To get the pro limit of +24dBu you would need a higher supply voltage but 30V would do that and could be found from a $10 "rat".

*Not down at -122dBu "Hilo" specc I grant you but the brief was to drive a compressor and even the best of those are not noted for state of art noise and they all distort! Nature of the beast. In other words they are a couple of decimal places worse than a bucket full of 5532s.

Dave.

We don't even kn ow what the compressor is, so how can we judge it's capabilities with an unnamed drum machine. We're just guessing and spending money.

Back