DAW on W7

hrchris

Hi. I have been using Nuendo 3 on XP happily for years. However, each time a PC craps out it's getting harder to find a refurb powerful enough to run XP. Eventually I'll have trouble finding an audio interface that will run on XP, though it's fine with my present Steinberg Yamaha UR22. Going forward I can't keep using XP. I just bought a Windows 7 PC (64b,4GBRAM,nVIDI card). I know Nuendo 3 won't install on it. Any ideas for a cheap robust DAW to run on W7? I tried downloading Pro Tools First, but the AVID site seemed to have only newer versions that won't run on W7. A starter Cubase might be good as I might be able to port my old .npr files to it. I downloaded Audacity which was quick. Works OK but is anyone doing serious multitracking with this? The plugins are bare and no pretty meters. Please let me know ideas for a DAW. Also, equally important is that the download installation not be a maze. I don't mind spending a little - $100 would be more in my budget than hundreds. I would love to get a CD to install the oldest version of Nuendo that will go on W7. I guess it would have to be a cracked copy though as I imagine even that version would need a USB key. Finally a platform from a company that has some real support, so I don't get sent in circles, would be nice, if there is still such an animal.

I know Nuendo 3 won't install on it.

Hi hrchris,
I see some discussions online suggesting that Nuendo 3 should work fine on Windows 7.
Apparently you just need to make sure you have the latest driver from elicenser.net.

If you're considering a change of scenery Reaper is very easy to set up and install, and has a very good support community.

I'd echo the Reaper suggestion - I find it very reliable. You can use the same version on your old XP machine as on the latest Windows 10 machine (as well as on Mac or Linux). The cost is very reasonable providing you aren't making too much money out of music.

I recommend Reaper as well. It runs happily on W7, is a quick download, installation is simple, takes up a small footprint on your PC and is a robust and versatile DAW.

You have a free uncrippled trial after which you get a nag screen encouraging you to buy. The rate for domestic use is very cheap: $AUD60.

Or stick with the Steinberg familiarity and go with Cubase. The Artist and Element version are not much more expensive than Reaper and you already have some experience. Granted, going from 3 to 10 is a big leap....

You can use the same USB key you have now, so won't need to buy another.

We don't condone the use of pirated software, so please do not mention cracks.

I don't recommend Audacity for multi-tracking. It might be able to do it... just not really meant to do it. You'll get more mileage out of a regular DAW.

I tried a program called Muse. It is free and it can use ASIO drivers and VST plugs.

I am a long time Cakewalk/Sonar user and now running Cakewalk by Bandlab on a win7 pc. The program is totally free and being updated and improved on constantly. It was built off of the 500$ Sonar Platinum but starting with the demo or trial version. That being said I am also a Reaper fan. Reaper.fm is the place for training videos from new user stuff to pro production. I am still using some Reaper plugins inside of Cakewalk. I still have an xp machine fully loaded with different 32 bit daws and still use it when I think I need and old plugin. You have room on your pc for more than 1 daw , although I would at some point upgrade your ram. Good Luck .. ms

Back