daw and monitor

neuronetv

hi is there such a thing as a digital audio workstation with a video output so you could use something like a pc monitor or tv instead of the tiny LCD displays that nearly all daw's have? I'm fully aware one can use a laptop or pc as a daw but I don't like doing home recording on a pc, and I struggle to read the little displays on most daws.

hi is there such a thing as a digital audio workstation with a video output so you could use something like a pc monitor or tv instead of the tiny LCD displays that nearly all daw's have? I'm fully aware one can use a laptop or pc as a daw but I don't like doing home recording on a pc, and I struggle to read the little displays on most daws.

You have this old mucker confused? A "DAW" is the software you use for audio recording it has neither screen nor physical outputs.

And, what have you got against laptops?

Dave.

You have this old mucker confused? A "DAW" is the software you use for audio recording it has neither screen nor physical outputs.

DAW applies to those standalone recorders as well.

I sort of remember there being some sort of standalone with a monitor output, but I could just be imagining it. A quick search turned up nothing.

DAW applies to those standalone recorders as well.

I sort of remember there being some sort of standalone with a monitor output, but I could just be imagining it. A quick search turned up nothing.

Oh! Well, there's silly isn'it! My Tascam DR-22WL is not a very expensive unit but can be shared with a phone or tablet.

Still don't know? If OP is prepared to lug decently sized screen, why not a laptop?

Dave.

Oh! Well, there's silly isn'it! My Tascam DR-22WL is not a very expensive unit but can be shared with a phone or tablet.

Still don't know? If OP is prepared to lug decently sized screen, why not a laptop?

Dave.

thanks for the responses. I wouldn't lug a daw around, I'd only use it at home so I wouldn't need to take a monitor anywhere. by daw I mean a standalone unit. I would prefer if possible to use a daw rather than software on a pc, it's just that my eyes are shot and it would be great if a daw could project its display content onto a monitor. Yes I've heard of glasses but I don't like them and never wear them.

It would be infinitely cooler if it was a 1 button operation. A computer program automatically scans the recorded information and applies a formula based on presets. Track by track. British thick as a brick, Pop , Lite progressive rock,metal, hardcore, etc. Then play with it post once you are in the ball park with VSTs and stuff.

It looks like it is going in that direction. EZMix. Luna, etc. All- in - ones that have improving automation in preset chains.

I sometimes strugle with your posts Lazerbeaksheik, but this one I really have no clue about at all? What do you mean?

Robby baby? I do know W T F Either of them are bloody on about!

Jusfort. My laptop can 'Caste" a picture to my JVC smart TV. My Sony (not so) Smart phone can do the same but not it seems to the same telly! So, is op looking for a handheld recorder that can stream video to a TV? Monitors don't have Wi-Fi AFAIK?

Dave.

The only one I recall was a modification kit to a Tascam 2488 that fitted it up with a VGA monitor output.

The Roland VS-2480 had a VGA output. Its a 20yr old unit (it even had SCSI ports... who uses that anymore). It was quite sophisticated for its time, with motorized faders, 24bit/96K recording. It had an 80gb drive which at the time was quite large.

Alas, it was far too much money for me to buy.

You might find a working used unit.

The Roland VS-2480 had a VGA output. Its a 20yr old unit (it even had SCSI ports... who uses that anymore). It was quite sophisticated for its time, with motorized faders, 24bit/96K recording. It had an 80gb drive which at the time was quite large.

Alas, it was far too much money for me to buy.

You might find a working used unit.

b b B but THAT looks bigger than yer average laptop Boo-boo?

Dave.

It might help if we got clarification from the OP on WHY he specifically doesn't want to use a desktop or laptop as opposed to a standalone unit, if portability is not the issue.

That's really teh only advantage I can see to one, unless he's under the impression that they're simpler to use (which I would dispute, but that's just me).

I'm not necessarily going to try and convince him otherwise, I'm just curious.

Some people might just like the workflow. Its probably the same for people who like to use 2" tape decks with big consoles. They like what they get from it, are willing to put up with the costs and limitations, and that's fine with me. I personally couldn't afford the tape!

For some things, the in-the-box recorders are nice, but when you get into waveform editing, a computer is the way to go. I can do things in Reaper that I could never do in either my Yamaha AWs or my R24. The nice thing is that I can use them both.

Tascam 2488NEO user here. I prefer physical faders and knobs rather than trying to grab, slide, turn things with a mouse. I did try a USB controller to work faders and knobs in Reaper, but it was fidgety and I spent too much time trying to get it to work right. I can import wav files from the Tascam into Reaper if needed for editing if I chose to do so. As was said, it's a workflow thing and having used a Portastudio for most my life it's more comfortable to stick with.

I guess I see what you're saying about the workflow. Pretty sure anyone still using large format tape is doing so because of the way it SOUNDS, though, not because it's easier to use. And I don't know of a standalone DAW that's going to SOUND as good as a computer based one.

I would prefer if possible to use a daw rather than software on a pc, it's just that my eyes are shot and it would be great if a daw could project its display content onto a monitor.

Mmm...but how is that any better...?
You don't want to use a PC with software because a smaller standalone recorder is easier to carry...but then you want to be able to plug that into a computer monitor or TV around with the standalone recorder...?

Get a laptop with a decent size screen, install some DAW software...and there you go.

Oh...and "DAW" doesn't just refer to a small standalone recorder...it refers to any PC software system that does audio recording/mixing.

Tascam 2488NEO user here. I prefer physical faders and knobs rather than trying to grab, slide, turn things with a mouse. I did try a USB controller to work faders and knobs in Reaper, but it was fidgety and I spent too much time trying to get it to work right. I can import wav files from the Tascam into Reaper if needed for editing if I chose to do so. As was said, it's a workflow thing and having used a Portastudio for most my life it's more comfortable to stick with.

What controller did you use? I've been wanting to get one for Reaper. I prefer physical faders too.

Mmm...but how is that any better...?
You don't want to use a PC with software because a smaller standalone recorder is easier to carry...but then you want to be able to plug that into a computer monitor or TV around with the standalone recorder...?

Well, he didn't really say it was because of size or portability. That's what had me/us confused.

What controller did you use? I've been wanting to get one for Reaper. I prefer physical faders too.

Amazon.com: Korg nanoKONTROL2 Slim-Line USB Control Surface, Black: Musical Instruments

When it works right it works great, but if something glitches then I spend time trying to get it working again. I probably should check to see if there are more recent drivers for it that might work better. I do remember for Reaper there was something additional needed (not from Korg) to get it to work.

Edit... just checked and there are updated drivers and an editor. I may have another go at getting it to work.

Back