Da simple upgrade ...

AdamFforde

Hi
I play bass and in the early noughties bought a Yamaha AW16G, 8 inputs, no USB, very happy with it, taught me a lot and I have used it heaps for making working recordings of various bands etc etc.
It is starting to irk, mainly as, being essentially hardware, it cannot easily (meaning I think it can but I haven't worked that out) remember the settings easily for a mixdown, and definitely it cannot remember the slider settings as one rides them through a mixdown. So I thought I would upgrade which means, simply - 1. Get the interface (12 inputs better than 8), 2. Make sure the thing will record onto a high capacity 3.0 USB thumb or external HDD, 3. Get the software and mixdown on my laptop. The sound quality out of the AW16G is fine, I have the mics etc etc. So the snags are, so far as I can see, making sure that I get bundled software, that I buy something secondhand that works, and that the USB link works too.
I am sure you guys can answer this in two ticks, much appreciated. Oh and I need two inputs with phantom power as the o/h mics on the drums are like that.
Thanks
Adam (Melbourne, Australia - my soundcloud is AdamFf)

The Tascam 16x08 or the the Presonus Audiobox 1818 are both respectable with eight mike inputs each.

Neither record onto a stick or drive. They connect via USB to your lap and you record directly to that. Often interfaces come with bundled software, and should be the case with these. You can check.

However, I use Reaper with my Presonus (an aging firewire interface) and that has been a solid combination.

On the other hand, using Allen & Heath's ICE, you can record 16 tracks onto a stick or use it as an interface:

ICE-16 - Allen & Heath

Super, many thanks.

Thanks this just what I wanted. Made in Cornwall. Review from 2013 suggests they should be around second hand. Nothing from Behringer, I presume!

It is discontinued.

Cheers

Adam

Back