Thread: Creative/Unique/Inexpensive DIY CD Packaging Ideas????

Thanks

Creative/Unique/Inexpensive DIY CD Packaging Ideas????

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi folks,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I run a small boutique record label in Portland, ME and wanted to ask y'all opinions on creative, unique and inexpensive ways to package CDs for release. I'm working towards doing vinyls for my artists, but it's so expensive and really not in the cards right now.

While I don't love CDs (who does these days?), I still feel as if each release needs a physical package of some sort. Since the whole principal of the label is to give people tangible things that they'll want to hold onto forever, though, the last thing I want to do is send the projects out to Discmakers. Another thing to consider is we're doing mainly short runs of 100 copies for each release, and having that printed by one of the "big boys" is just not worth the costs.

I'll be printing the discs myself, and am looking for some insight into ways to package them that are not only unique, but relatively inexpensive. Time-consuming is fine; the first run of my own band's debut was all hand-painted packaging. That took a bit too long, but if we can make these things look beautiful then I'm 100% into it.

Here are just two ideas that I have myself, but I'm looking to expand upon:

1.) Hand screen-printing on Stumptown Printers heavy chipboard packaging, including vellum inserts etc. The standard of "DIY-chic," maybe?

2.) One of my artists is into doing collages, and for her release (in addition to cds packaged somehow) she's going to hand-collage jewelry boxes that we'll sell for say $10; open it up and you have a download code imprinted in it.

Anyways, I'd love to get some insight from people that have gone the DIY route before, whether it be CD or digital download packaging. Mostly interested in CD packaging ideas, though, as with digital downloads you can do practically anything; whiddle a spoon or something!

Cheers,
    --
    Erik

Thanks
    Haven't tried this but nice idea:

Eco-Friendly and Recycled CD & DVD Packaging | GrooveHouse

Also, a 5" open reel box if you can find them, is just the right size for a CD. Would be a nice package for a CD, booklet, jewelry, one-off etc.

Thanks
    Consider Kunaki rather than printing/copying the CDs yourself. Doesn't get any cheaper than that.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    DIY packaging ideas usually does not hold good if you are into a business. People ie buyers always prefer a professional packaging service rather than DIYs Be it a television set or a small CD disk, customers are happy with the way they see their stuff packed professionally. One reason is that- this makes them proud, if they are having it gifted to someone close. We run a small scale business unit in Toronto. We usually go for professional packaging service in Toronto owing to customer satisfaction.

Thanks
    Excellent. The OP was a single poster from 18 months ago. He'll be glad to know.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
    Excellent. The OP was a single poster from 18 months ago. He'll be glad to know.
    That's because he took the ideas and is now touring the world with his new Eco-friendly CD's and is making millions.

Thread Information