Creating hardware effects loop via the output of an interface

sfkeydel

I have an Apogee 88 Thunderbolt interface that has two separate outputs, both of which have a Left and Right output. I have a bunch of outboard effects pedals that I'd like to use while I'm tracking, and I'm trying to figure out the right way to connect them in a chain to one of the outputs.

Sorry, I assume this is super easy. If there's another thread that covers this, please let me know!

Thanks,
Stefan

As far as the physical connections, it's just a matter of sending a spare line output from your interface to the line input of your external gear. Then connect the line output of your external gear to a spare line input on your interface.

For the software part of it, most DAWs have a way to essentially treat external gear like a VST insert. You just choose the appropriate inputs/outputs.
And most DAWs also have ways to route specific signals to specific hardware outputs/inputs. That'll just depend on which DAW you're using.

I guess that the first thing to do though, is to make sure that those "alt out" jacks actually represent discrete outputs from your interface. It's possible that they're just duplicates of the main outputs and aren't discrete. That info should be in your manual.

Back