CPU Requirement For Cubase Elements 10.5

pjleese

CPU requirement for Cubase Elements 10.5
I am upgrading my computer and having Windows 10 installed. I have been asked the following question:

I'd like to upgrade to the latest version of Cubase elements, but would like some clarification about the CPU requirements beforehand. Currently I've got an AMD Phenom II B95 (Quad Core 3.0Ghz CPU), similar to a typical Intel Core i5 of the time.
However, I notice that the latest version of Cubase quotes an AMD Ryzen CPU or Intel Core i5. The Core i5 has been around for a long time and has passed through many generations, yet the AMD Ryzen is the latest CPU available from AMD. Does that mean I can buy any Intel Core i5 based machine from the last 10 years, but only buy the latest AMD Ryzen CPUs from the last 2-3?
If not, can you clarify whether the software is compatible with the following CPUs please, then that'd be great: AMD Phenom II Quad Core B95, AMD A8-8650B, Intel Core i5-650.

I submitted a ticket to Steinberg over a week ago but not had any reponse. Any ideas folks as I am desparate to get things moving.Regards.

I think you might get a better response than I can give in the Cubase section of this forum?

My limited understanding of CPUs and performance is that almost anything made in the last 5 years, even a fairly basic 'office' machine will record a great many tracks, probably 30 or more at base rate 44.1kHz and 24 bits. The limitations start to show as you add plugins.

Cubase is known to be a 'heavy' program and thus the fastest CPU is probably the best. I doubt it matters much which CPU brand you use?

I hope you are going for a good brand of SSD and some fast ram? 16G is likely pretty bombproof but 8G will serve for us ordinary mortals!

Dave.

Thanks Dave.

I am having a reconditioned machine with 8gb and 256 SSD. The trial version worked great but when I tried to install it wanted windows 10!

Anyway I only want to use it as a mainly 5 piece band kind of thing so hopefully it will b ok.

Thanks for taking the time to respond

Regards, Pete

You are welcome Pete. Have you considered what sort of Audio Interface you will get if you don't already have one?

The choice is really between a two mic channel device where you would record a stereo capture of the whole band or a multi-track AI where you attempt to get individual instruments and voices down onto their own tracks. The latter sounds inviting, allowing post tracking mixing an balancing but getting good separation the first place is quite an art! Fork! Just getting good grab of a guitar amp can be a trial and don't get me started on a drum kit!

There is a sort of half way house? Get a 2 channel AI but one with 'ADAT' inputs (also outs but this gets even more expensive). Thus equipped you can try simple stereo but have the capability of buying an ADAT 8ch mic pre amp in the future giving you ten mic channels. Plus of course you need 8 more mics, stands, cables...Can be addictive!

Dave.

Cubase is quite happy with an i5 on windows 10 - it likes at least 8Gb of RAM. Steinberg don't specify the processor. If you try to run it on a slow machine, it's just a case of waiting while things get processed and you might have to be careful with the amount of plugins and track count. Fast drive data speeds are more important I have found when you press play and swapping a slow drive for a faster one made very obvious improvements in operation.

I'm running an i7-4790 3.6GHz which gives me enough tracks for everything I do. The older i5 I had would occasionally spike and I'd get problems. If your track count is modest, you will be fine until you get too excited and create too many, although artist does have a few restrictions on this kind of thing. However - is 64 tracks a restriction? Probably not.

Back