A couple of things I've never learned. Help?

atomjack

I would say I am able to make decent sounding recordings, I've been doing it for a few years now, yet I was thinking, there are common things I've never figured out. Anyone feel like taking a crack at helping me out?

1. Creating a separate mix for the performer who is recording: If a guitarist is recording a scratch track DI in the control room, and the drummer is listening to it in another room with headphones, how can I create a separate mix for the drummer, without effecting what the guitarist is hearing in the control room?

2. Hooking a preamp to a patch bay: I have a presonus digimax lt. Is there a way to use the patch bay if I want to use the preamp on a certain channel? Instead it's connected to my pro tools interface all the time, but what if I just want to use the channels on my mixer, can I have the preamp and mixer hooked up at the same time, and when I want to use the preamp turn to the patch bay?

Thanks!

1. Use aux buses to 'mix' separate outs for performers.
2. Yes, you can use a patchbay for a pre-amp, but it is generally a bad idea.
A) It introduces extra signal chain and B) should not be used with phantom power.

Back