A couple questions to ask...

gh32

I've been reading homerecording.com and other forums off and on for quite a while now and have finally decided to take the plunge and get some gear. Let me first say thanks for anyone who takes the time to help me out in this learning phase of mine.

First, what I have already and what I'm playing: I play a steel string acoustic with a pickup and preamp built-in. I understand that, when I want to record, I should mic the guitar directly (with two, apparantly), but it actually sounds better than it should. I also have an IMP2 DI box and a beta 58A. Lastly, I have a PC with a pure SCSI disk subsystem, a P4 2.4 proc, and 512 MB RAM.

Now, what I'd like to be able to do is two fold: I eventually want to play live again (I used to gig with a buddy who was an engineering student and who had access to a yamaha 01V as well as mains and monitors), so I want to be able to use whatever I purchase live (as much as possible). I also want to start recording my music that's good enough so that I can have a demo to give to coffee house owners, friends, etc. Oh yeah, and this, of course, is on a budget.

Here's what I've come up with so far: It seems that I need a mixer and that something like the mackie 1202-vlz pro would be up my alley, as they are pretty highly regarded if slightly overpriced. So, assuming I can get one for around $250, would this seem like a logical place to start? If I was recording, this would then go into something like an echo MIA or a delta 44 (these are what I've read to be excellent in the price range, if this isn't true or there are other alternatives, all suggestions are welcome), at which point software would take over.

The thing I really don't know anything about is how to incorporate effects like reverb and compression while playing live. I understand there are rack units that do all this, but as far as what's good vs. what's bad, I have no idea. I went over to Guitar Center today and talking to someone who seemed to know what he was doing, I was told that something like a dbx provocal would be exactly what I needed. As I really have no idea about any of this, I decided to come to you guys for a little help and guidance.

So, if anyone could point me in the right direction and help a newb out, that'd be great. I forgot to mention that It would just be guitar and vocals live, with possibly another guitar and/or vocal--not any more than that. Thanks again.

-George

George...
You're on the right track so far. That's right about Mackie as a qualified mixer, and as a starting point. Ditto with the soundcard. And congratulation, finally you've made your first post in this BBS after a year (Sign up Dec 2001 :D). For the software for recording, you may try Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 for first to do your project. Or N-track. You may find the demo version for sure. Go Cakewalk forum, or N-Track forum.
For the effect, if you're in recording, you can take an advantage of Plugins to do the job. Just record plain, and add the effect latter. You know, plugins are virtual effect inserted/applied in recorded track in your multitrack program. So don't be hurry to buy the "iron" one, if at least you're not sure what's the idea of it. When you dig down what every effect types were all about, you may then decided to have the real rack. I think that's my 2 cents for now, I believe, many fella's here will add more hints and help. Keep goin' and succes.
:cool:
Jaymz.

I don't know how you would be able to use plug-in's on a computer to gig with. I would stick to outboards for that and you can also use them to record.

They are plugged into the aux sends and returns on the mixer. They are looped through the mixer rather than looping the instrument through the effect. That way, you can use them live and adjust individual channels for varying amounts of effect.

For recording you want to be able to hear the effect in your cans, but not neccesarily track with the effect. You will add that later during the mix-down to stereo.

Oops... I miss that part. I though he just wanted to make a home recording. Sennheiser's correct, you need an outboard gear to do live performance. Check out Rack & Modules forum.
:cool:

Cool, thanks you guys. I guess I never posted because I'm a pretty strong believer in the search feature (that's where you really learn everything).

That TC M300 seems like a nice piece. How does it compare to the dbx ProVocal the guy was trying to sell me? Now, it seems that that is all I would need to get started playing live? Just the mixer, the TC M300 and a couple mains, no? Should I be asking these questions in 'rack & modules'? I just wasn't sure because they were such newb questions. Damn, 5 replies in less than 24hrs; you guys rock. Thanks again.

-George

Hey George, since I don't know dbx Provocal you mentioned, I can't say it's good or bad. Yeah, I know the info, but not quite how it actually sounds, and what's the weakness. So I can't give you a hint what's the best for you. But... if you try to describe out what the closest sound you wanna get, then somebody here may give you a clue. I mean, like "Hey, I wanted my sound just thin.. yes, just thin" Then may be a cheap Zoom is great for you. Or... check my link above, description like "the Eagles sound" or "Clapton sound" may help us to figgure out what actually you prefer. We can't judge one is better than another without knowing what you actually need / want and budget.
There it goes... For an Amp (Monitor) IMHO I found Nothing beats Trace Elliot for acoustic guitars. I got one and also work on my acoustic violin...

Right; I'm going for simplicity, but with quality in mind, e.g. self-powered mains, a hotbox to monitor vocals and my trace to monitor the guitar. Or so it would seem that this would work until my budget increases.

-George

Yeah, James, I've been lovin the Trace stuff for years. I have a 5 year old combo that still does me great. Trace rocks, as far as I'm concered.

But I think I've decided on the tc M300 piece for reverb and compression/delay/chorus/(whatever else I may decide on that day).

Thus starts the long road.

I can't thank you guys enough.

-George

gh32 said:
Cool, thanks you guys. I guess I never posted because I'm a pretty strong believer in the search feature (that's where you really learn everything).

I like this guy!
I nominate George for "newbie of the month"

There are good deals on JBL Eon's right now. They just came out with the new models and most stores are blowing out the older ones. You can get the powered 15" for under $400 and they make great mains for smaller gigs. You can chain a few of them together for bigger gigs and the smaller 10" make great monitors.

Tex - Thanks for the heads-up! I'll definitely look it to it.

Eyes - Walking distance from dadeland; right behind guitar center on kendall (it's nice to be able to play un-attainable Taylors any time I want).

Damn, guys...newbie of the year?? I don't know what to say...

-George

Oh yeah!! I almost for got to mention...I won the mixer on ebay for $188.50 and the seller lives about 45 minutes away so no shipping and I get to see it before I pay them (I'm just getting started on ebay as well, and it's all very thrilling still).

I also decided on the Echo MIA, as it seems to go well with the makie and it comes with cubasis. So, it looks like I'll be recording by the weekend!

-George

gh32 said:
Walking distance from dadeland; right behind guitar center on kendall (it's nice to be able to play un-attainable Taylors any time I want).

Cool. I live pretty close to GC in dadeland also but I always end up going to the Hollywood store. (except for strings and cables)

BTW, welcome to the board!
By the you are writing I can tell you'll be an asset here.

Peace.
Sergio.

Back