Connecting Outboard Device Issue

FlyingHigh

Hi,

Am needing help connecting and an outboard Compressor to my Cubase LE AI. I have connected two TR cables into back of Compressor, one in to Input (send) and the other into Output (Return) and the other end of the cable which is a TRS I have inserted into one of the Audio Inserts on back of my interface.

Now when I go to Audio Connections in my Cubase, there is no tab for adding an External FX. And when I add another BUS for my input and output (each a stereo I assume?) I cannot find my device (Compressor) to add it. The only device found is my Interface (AKAI EIE PRO). What am I doing wrong? Have connected everything correctly or is something not connected right?

The back of the compressor where I have the input/output is also named Sidechain...

If I understand correctly, you have an outboard compressor that you have connected to your interface appropriately via the interface's insert.

Your interface presumably connects to your computer via USB cable, right?

You will not be able to control the compressor from within Cubase. That's because the compressor is invisible to it. The compressor is connected via audio only, so there is no control mechanism that can be applied.

I have an outboard compressor that uses my interface's inserts as well, and I just work it manually as required.

However, if you do want to exercise computer control over a compressor, then you can simply use a plugin, which is just as effective.

If I understand correctly, you have an outboard compressor that you have connected to your interface appropriately via the interface's insert.

Your interface presumably connects to your computer via USB cable, right?

You will not be able to control the compressor from within Cubase. That's because the compressor is invisible to it. The compressor is connected via audio only, so there is no control mechanism that can be applied.

I have an outboard compressor that uses my interface's inserts as well, and I just work it manually as required.

However, if you do want to exercise computer control over a compressor, then you can simply use a plugin, which is just as effective.

Yes it does connect via USB port. That part works fine, it's more the fact I can't seem to get it going inside Cubase/ I assume possibly I may not be connecting it correcting inside the DAW. here's a screenshot of both my INs/OUTs with the added BUS.

cu.jpg
So from this I would think I click on the audio track I want the compressor to be added to and when I bring up the list of FX listed in Inspector window the Compressor should be listed, right? If not, then how do I do this so the track gets the compressor added?

Your hardware compressor is invisible to Cubase, nor can it be made visible.

If you want to add a compressor to an audio track you would select it as a plugin from a library of effects that Cubase has somewhere, and it would be a software compressor.

Your hardware compressor is invisible to Cubase, nor can it be made visible.

If you want to add a compressor to an audio track you would select it as a plugin from a library of effects that Cubase has somewhere, and it would be a software compressor.

You mean that I can only use a software plug in and not my outboard compressor since it is invisible to Cubase and I am unable to make it visible inside Cubase?

You mean that I can only use a software plug in and not my outboard compressor since it is invisible to Cubase and I am unable to make it visible inside Cubase?

That is indeed the sad situation if you had your heart set on hardware.

However, compressor plugins are pretty good, and you are not likely to be disadvantaged by using them.

Wait, he can most certainly use a hardware compressor as an insert if he has enough channels on his interface. Its so commin in REAPER there's a function called 'ReaInsert" for it. I'm sure there is similar in cubase. No he cant control it fro mthe DAW, but it should certainly be available to realtime audio

I may not be understanding the question

Wait, he can most certainly use a hardware compressor as an insert if he has enough channels on his interface. Its so commin in REAPER there's a function called 'ReaInsert" for it. I'm sure there is similar in cubase. No he cant control it fro mthe DAW, but it should certainly be available to realtime audio

I may not be understanding the question

Sure. There are heaps of ways of adding a hardware compressor. And indeed, he is using the interface inserts to do this. But there aren't any ways of controlling it from within the DAW (other an a basic send or return adjustment). OP is seeking to add it as another audio device, which it isn't, at least not in the sense that an interface is.

WHEN YOU'RE RECORDING - that insert jack will work with the active input. If you want to compress a signal *on the way in* (which in most cases probably isn't a good idea, but we'll put that aside), that's where you connect your insert cable to the compressor. Tip to input, ring to output, and you manually set your compressor while monitoring the input signal.

IF YOU'RE ADDING IT LATER - Different ways in some DAWs, but almost universally, you assign whatever you're trying to run through it an output on the interface. If you're trying to compress traditionally, that could be the output or buss of a single channel or group of channels. If you're adding a stereo reverb or delay, it would be the output of an auxiliary mix. Let's say you assign that to output 3 or 4 (as I see your interface assumes you're using 1 & 2 as your outputs to your monitoring chain).

So you route your (whatever - vocal, guitar, drum buss - which would be a stereo send) to output 3 (or 3 & 4 if stereo). Output goes to input on compressor. Outputs of compressor get routed to LINE INPUT(s) on the front panel (take your pick - 1, 2, 3, 4, 1&2, 3&4, 1&3, up to you, doesn't matter) and those get routed to a new track in DAW.

YES - in theory, you could keep the unit connected to the insert if you want - You could use output 3 and go to input 1 with one channel of the compressor on that insert.

But in any case, you aren't going to control it, you aren't going to "see" it in your DAW. It sees the inputs and outputs via USB. It doesn't know or care what's connected to those I/O.

The back of the compressor where I have the input/output is also named Sidechain...
Your sidechain input is for another day. Leave that alone for now and let's just get signal to where it needs to be.

ALL OF THAT OUT OF THE WAY -- No doubt, you should build and have a solid understanding on all of this. And you should most definitely experiment with different routing options. Routing inserted *and* auxiliary signals (and knowing the difference between, along with the 'when and why' of each) is part of the basic skillset. And as different as it seems, it's really the same thing whether in the real or virtual world.

But once that understanding is built and practiced, don't use a particular piece of gear (in this case, an analog compressor) just to use it. I'm an analog nut - and when I'm looking for the particular character of a particular unit, that unit enters the chain. But if I'm simply trying to decrease the dynamic range of a signal, I'm probably better off just using a plugin.

Long story short - Don't degrade your signal just to use your insert jacks.

Last edited:
Back