Connecting a microphone to an amplifier

Dark Light923

Hi everybody. So I have bought the BOSS KATANA -100/212 MK11 amplifier, and I also have pretty much all the equipment I need to begin producing my music. But the guy at the shop told me that in order to use the amplifier for recording guitar, I need to put a certain type of microphone where the microphone is, to record. This sounds weird to me. I thought I wouldn't need a microphone to connect the amplifier in order to record. Is there another way, that doesn't require a microphone? Thanks in advance for any help.

It has a line output. You could use that, but a big part of an amp's sound comes from the speakers themselves. There isn't one right way to do it, but it's pretty well established technique to us a mic to capture the sound. That said, your amp has cabinet emulation, so the line output is set up to have the sound of a mic on the speaker. Go ahead and try the line output. In the future you might find it useful to use a mic.

"Mic'd cabinet emulation on the line, USB, and phones/recording outputs, with three Air Feel settings available in BOSS Tone Studio"

That amp has the ability to connect to a computer through a USB connection. The USB connection will allow you to record the audio signal from the amp into recording software (DAW) with effects. No mic needed and the cabinet emulation may bring it close sounding like it was micced. The sales guy either didn't know or he was just trying to sell a mic to you.

The Boss Tone Studio may let you expand/add some effects/tones to the amp which I'm guessing are loaded to the amp via USB and the Boss software.
What is BOSS TONE CENTRAL? | BOSS TONE CENTRAL

Attachments

• usb port.jpg
    usb port.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 2
Yes that is pretty versatile amplifier and gets good reports on various forums.

You will still need a microphone and AI however if you want to record vocals or, as said, the speaker of the amp.

Interfaces are legion but TBH there is not that much between them at the $100-$200 point in terms of sound quality. They are all excellent! For basic yodelling and to stick afront an amp the ridiculously cheap Behringer XM8500 is a remarkably good dynamic mic.

Dave.

Back