connecting interface to computer speakers.. Input outputs

db_loser

Hi,

So I bought an M-audio ultra interface. My question is... For now I'll be using my computer speakers as an output I have a 2.1 250 watt ligitech speaker setup. From what I read, I need to buy a 1/8 - 1/4 jack adapter, and connect the comp. speakers to an output of the interface, and on the PC, point to the interface for music playback.

My question is.. Why does the interface have so many outputs? if I have an instrument plugged to input 1, will I need to plug the speakers to output 1 in order to hear them, or will I get sound if I plug more than one instrument into the inputs, will I get sound from all of them coming out of the speakers?

Or, is it as simple as plugging the speakers to the m-audio headphone jack?

My question is.. Why does the interface have so many outputs? if I have an instrument plugged to input 1, will I need to plug the speakers to output 1 in order to hear them, or will I get sound if I plug more than one instrument into the inputs, will I get sound from all of them coming out of the speakers?

Or, is it as simple as plugging the speakers to the m-audio headphone jack?

All those outputs are there for versatility. You could do a surround mix, generate multiple monitor mixes, run a track out to an analog processor and more. You don't need to plug into the corresponding output to hear an input, just use the MX Core DSP feature to route things to whatever outputs you're using to monitor.

You'll probably want to plug your speakers into the first two outputs (1 and 2 for left and right), but you could use one of the headphone outputs as well. Sooner or later you'll want to get real monitors so what you're hearing is a reliable representation of your mix.

Back