Connecting external modules to computer... Now very confused!!!!

cottey1

Hi peeps,
It seems the more I read on this subject the more confused I get.
I now own a Roland JV-1080 sound module, Roland USB keyboard/controller, midisport 2x2 interface and M-Audio preamp for mic/instrument.

My DAW I am currently constructing will have a M-Audio 2496 soundcard fitted, Quad core processor etc ( very fast I hope ).

I will be adding a Roland R8M and key finger trigger eventually.

Software will be Cakewalk/Sonar6 PE

My question - As I understand it I will need to connect the external sound modules to the line in of the soundcard to convert the midi data to record to a wave file or other compatible file.
Is the soundcard suitable for this and would I have to unplug the synth connections in order to record the drum patterns etc. There is also the mater of connecting the pre amp to the line inputs.
Basically I would like to avoid having to plug/unplug various leads on the soundcard if possible.

Any advice appreciated but please bear in mind i'm on a tight budget.

Thanks .

Basically I would like to avoid having to plug/unplug various leads on the soundcard if possible.

Any advice appreciated but please bear in mind i'm on a tight budget.

Your options are:

Patchbay

Mixer

Interface with more channels

Just deal with repatching

Any recommendations for mixers . Do they have to be digital mixers if used for transferring sound via audio outputs of sound module.

Thanks for the reply.

I use a behringer 1604 alongside my interface and a midisport (which will take care of the midi via usb)...just put the JV, and any other synths, audio into the mixer and the main outs of your mixer into your line ins on your interface..

I also use an 802 to get the four outputs from my korg micro and do the same as the 1604...

that runs with a midi keyboard and an mpd24...works fine and the mixers dont add any noise regardless of the behri snipers online

Back