connect ipod to guitar amplifier

edwardiii

I'm interested in doing this and am aware of the sound quality issues (e.g mono, limited frequency range).

I'm just wondering what type of converter or direct box I should use to match impedance on the two devices.

the guitar amp is an ampeg v4...

Im sure a re-amp device will work. I don't know why in the world you would want to do this. Maybe to get a lofi sound?

Maybe to get a lofi sound?

bingo!

thanks for reamp tip, didn't know such a thing existed... those devices are a bit pricey though, was hoping for something in the sub $50 direct box price range.

are there any direct boxes that work in "reverse" or is the reamp my only recourse?

bingo!

thanks for reamp tip, didn't know such a thing existed... those devices are a bit pricey though, was hoping for something in the sub $50 direct box price range.

are there any direct boxes that work in "reverse" or is the reamp my only recourse?

You may find a DIY schematic on it and build it yourself. I couldn't imagine it being too involved. You would just need to price all the parts and see if it is cheaper than buying one. The good thing about buying one is that you know you are getting good build quality.

ah right lol. im betting his amp doesnt have a cd/mp3 input like my crappy amp does haha.

im always so quick to assume :(

If you want it to sound lo-fi, the impedance issue might help that along.

No sense spending money on the proper way to make something sound worse... You might as well try the cheap way first and go to Radio Shack and get a $3 adapter (assuming you don't have one around) and see if that does it for you.

The impedance issue wont break anything, it will just sound different. Different is what you are going for.

im betting his amp doesnt have a cd/mp3 input like my crappy amp does haha.

wtf, I can't believe those idiots at ampeg in the 70s didn't plan on cd/mp3 compatibility! :)

The impedance issue wont break anything, it will just sound different. Different is what you are going for.

I've heard that running a low impedance output into a jack that's expecting a high impedance input can fry the preamp on a guitar amp if the signal gets too hot. I want different but I also want to avoid wrecking a $600 vintage head!

I have tested this out with a 3.5mm->1/4" cable, I'm just concerned about running it full-bore for extended periods of time.

I've heard that running a low impedance output into a jack that's expecting a high impedance input can fry the preamp on a guitar amp if the signal gets too hot. I want different but I also want to avoid wrecking a $600 vintage head!
I have never heard that before. I don't even know of anything that would back that up.

You would be very hard pressed to burn up the preamp in a guitar amp with an Ipod. I had a guitar with bartolini pickups in it that I could plug a set of Koss headphones (from the 70's) and listen to myself play. I plugged that into my guitar amp every day for years...

wtf, I can't believe those idiots at ampeg in the 70s didn't plan on cd/mp3 compatibility! :)

I have tested this out with a 3.5mm->1/4" cable, I'm just concerned about running it full-bore for extended periods of time.

and wait an hour after eating to go swimming, and I caught it from the toilet seat....

Back