Confused: Stereo output from digital piano to input on audio interface

iotrez

Hi all,

I want to get as accurate and good quality sound recording as I can from my digital piano playing.

I have two 1/4 inch stereo output sockets on the piano shown here:
digital_piano.jpg

And a Tascam US-100 audio interface, which has line in sockets.
tascam.jpg

I read that I can connect these sockets together, but the line in/out leads I have seen have two plugs on one side(line in/out) and one plug on the other.
lineInOut.jpg

But shouldn't I be using two separate leads, each with a plug going into one of the sockets on the piano and the other end plugging into one of the line in sockets on the audio interface?

Thanks for any help.

But shouldn't I be using two separate leads, each with a plug going into one of the sockets on the piano and the other end plugging into one of the line in sockets on the audio interface?

Thanks for any help.

Yes.
One lead for left, one lead for right.
klotz-rca-jack-221988.jpg

woha, same situation! so I should use two different leads? no Y cords? where do I buy good ones that doesn't cost too much? are there any on thomann?

Even a Y cord is technically two individual leads. If what you're using has a combined stereo output (which I can almost guarantee it doesn't, other than possibly a headphone out), you just use a pair of cables. If you have 38 outputs and inputs, you use 38 cables.

As far as expense, I'm sure you can find them for under $10 each up to and over $1,000 each.

But the $10 ones should do just fine.

ok I have two outputs but they are for two different headphones, hence each of them sends a stereo signal, I should go with the Y I think

The OP has separate outputs for left and right so he needs the two cables like I pictured.
You have a single (presumably TRS headphone) output carrying both so you'd need the cable the OP pictured.

Back