Confused about Vocal Auto Tunning

Kasun Lee

Hi!

This is my first post!

I sing as a hobby (still I'm very amateur). I can somewhat sing along while playing the guitar, and I like to sing along to a karaoke track.

So, couple of days ago I got interested in Auto tuning my vocals. I've seen it done Automatically on YouTube, using Antares Auto-Tune. But I don't have access to it. Though I have Celemony Melodyne Editor v2. But I can't seem to find a way to automatically tune vocals like in Antares AT. It's all manual tuning. And I'm confused of using plugins -- actually I have no idea about how those could implement or install.

Can I somehow use Melodyne like Antares AT? Or what other software out there for newbies to Easily auto tune with few adjustments here and there (with a simple GUI like in Antares).

Sorry for this noob questions!

Thanks!!

Melodyne is a program/editor that works outside of the host DAW. Well, I think Studio One has a built in version. Either way; Not realtime/live

That is an interesting question though. I am not sure why one would want 'real time' pitch correction in a recording situation.

Better to fix notes and understand why they were wrong than 'T-Pain' the whole track. Unless that is what you are going for. But the mention of 'guitar' makes me think that is not your goal.

What DAW software are you using?

And welcome to the forum. No need for a sorry. I have questions now and again and I been doing this for quite some time...

:)

Melodyne is a program/editor that works outside of the host DAW. Well, I think Studio One has a built in version. Either way; Not realtime/live

That is an interesting question though. I am not sure why one would want 'real time' pitch correction in a recording situation.

Better to fix notes and understand why they were wrong than 'T-Pain' the whole track. Unless that is what you are going for. But the mention of 'guitar' makes me think that is not your goal.

What DAW software are you using?

And welcome to the forum. No need for a sorry. I have questions now and again and I been doing this for quite some time...

:)

Thanks for the reply! :)

>why one would want 'real time' pitch correction in a recording situation
I don't need it to be Real-time. I just record my vocals, then mix it with the soundtrack afterwards, mostly. I don't need to Auto tune the soundtrack at this moment (even with the guitar at this point).

>Better to fix notes and understand why they were wrong than 'T-Pain' the whole track
Bro, I only do it for fun, I just don't have the time to be a music professional yet. I'm just a IT guy, with little time in hand to go deep into music. But I love to sing.

>Unless that is what you are going for
Yes, that's what I'm going for! :D

>the mention of 'guitar' makes me think that is not your goal.
Forget about the guitar thing, my friend. I just wanna make my vocals to be a little more smoothing in tune :)

>What DAW software are you using?
Well, I just record my vocals with the simple "Free Sound Recorder" sw, and mix it with the music track with GoldWave (and add effects). Simple simple stuff.

>And welcome to the forum. No need for a sorry
Thank you! :)

SO, do you recommend Studio One?

Melodyne can be very easy to use if you only want minor tuning adjustments. After transferring the track just grab the slider and move it as much as you want. If you don't select "any" notes "every" note in the track will move toward the correct pitch. You can also select "All" notes using cntrl +a. The only problem happens when you are So far off pitch it thinks you are trying to sing a different note. Just move it to the correct note. ms

Just to reiterate...

- Melodyne can be very easy to use
- select "All" notes using cntrl +a
- grab the slider and move it as much as you want.

And this...

The only problem happens when you are So far off pitch it thinks you are trying to sing a different note. Just move it to the correct note.

You can hold Alt and click on the blob then move it up or down as needed. Very simple. Sounds so much better than auto-tune.

Hey , Thanks for that info . I've only used the slider for adjustments... I'll try that next session.. ms

Cool.

Without the Alt key, it will snap to the note, but with the Alt key, you can move it freely. Sometimes, a voice might waver a little or slide up to a note and you can kinda move it to the average of the note. Makes it sound more natural.

Back