Computer Setup w/ Delta 66 and Mackie mixer

Jnnyquest

Hey guys,

I recently bought an M-Audio Delta 66 card and want to route the signals from my Mackie CR1602 mixer (16 channel) to the Delta 66 card. I have a ton of rack gear so just about all of my aux sends and returns are used. I have read about using the channel inserts and putting the cables in halfway, but I am still unsure how to set this up (from where to plug in the instrument cables to where they wind up - diagram please??). I use a compressor on my channel 1 insert for vocals so I am curious how I can route it. Here's the goal and please tell me if I am deluded:

I want to be able to record four signals simultaneously into Nuendo 1.6 as four separate tracks. Is this possible? I have a 2.6 GHZ Celeron computer with 256 MB memory. Sounds like I will need more cables...Any insight is GREATLY appreciated!!!!

I'm doing the exact same thing and my Delta 66 is (supposed to be) en route.

Tapping off the channel inserts is simplicity itself. Use an unbalanced 1/4" plug, insert halfway (one click) so as not to interrupt the channel signal, and the other end into a Delta 66 analog in. You'll get a signal after the preamp but before anything else. So that will give you four dedicated tracks at a time.

If you're already using the inserts, all I can suggest is run signals off the Aux bus, or route some to the mains and use those for two tracks in. For instance, you could route your vox to aux 1, assign that to the left main and run that into the 66 analog 1 without messing with the vocal inserts. You could patch from aux 2 and pick up whatever is assigned to that for the 66 analog 2. Then you could assign some submix solely to the main right channel, use that for the 66 analog 3 and pick up one more channel by using an unbalanced 1/4" jack halfway in the channel insert for the 66 analog 4.

It's tough if you're already patching into the aux bus, but you can still assign those selectively to the mains.

Thanks Treeline

This sounds stupid - thus is why I am in the newbie section. After I route the signals into the Delta Breakout box - I am not sure what I need to do with the outputs from the breakout box. I have two sounds cards on my computer - a Delta for recording, and a factory installed Philips 5.1 Sound Agent for the other stuff. I have a line out on the Philips card running back into my Mackie mixer so I can hear all tracks as I used to do everything in Acid 4.0 (and its predecessors) or just hear anything (video sound, CD etc..) on my computer speakers. Any guidance on how you plan to use your outs? I 'd liek to set it up so I don't have to constantly switch between cards. Can Delta do this? Thanks in advance!

It's better to record and play back from the same card. What I do is to have outputs 1&2 (L&R) of my Layla coming into channels 15 & 16 of my Mackie 1604.

Simultaneous Recording of 4 tracks

If set up correctly (Delta 66 with Nuendo 1.6), does anyone know if I will be able to record 4 audio tracks simulataneously? (This is my goal)

I like to jam with other musicians and they usually play off of what I am doing vocally when I improvise. My vocals will pick up bleed through from the room when others play so I have to always go back and sing a solo take with my headphones on and my monitors off, but if the guitar and bass are direct in then I can manipulate them separately in the mix.

THX

Jnnyquest said:
If set up correctly (Delta 66 with Nuendo 1.6), does anyone know if I will be able to record 4 audio tracks simulataneously? (This is my goal)

THX

Yes. As long as Nuendo can handle 4 tracks simultaneously and as long as your computer is made after 1997..

Back