Computer based versus standalone

b-sharp

I am a (stricly) amatuer guitarist thinking of buying an entry levle digital studio. Considering Roland ED U-9 computer hard disk recorder or Roland BR-8 standalone studio. What are the pors and cons of standalone vs computer based. One problem I think I have is my computer isn't very powerful, K6 233, IDE drive. One other concern I have is with the flexibility of recoding other intruments such as a keyboard. Does that require MIDI in? Obviously I don't really understand the technology that well. Any comments?

I had a k6 233 64ram and quickly upgraded, for my particular
needs it was not acceptable. You can go directly in and do
not need to go in midi with the keyboard. I am not a wiz at
this stuff so stand by and I am sure you will recieve a much
more educated answer to your question. I upgraded to a k7
650 128ram and 7200rpm hard drive and that solved all my problems. I have the adat pcr card and the k6 would not run it allthough all my specs met the needed requirements for the card.

I confess I'm a fan of standalone units, but there is a problem that I've heard of using a computer for this kind of thing- correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that if your computer is a general thing, and not specifically a music thing, it can perform not as well (if that makes sense). Plus, the bonus of having a real solid multitracker is that you can push buttons and really slide sliders- none of that fiddly mouse business!
FiL.

If you plan on playing the keyboard so that a MIDI sequence is recorded, yes, you'll need a MIDI interface. If it's just like a big old honking B3 or a traditional piano, stick up a mic in front of it and record it as digital audio like anything else.

I'm afraid dragonworks is right, a K6-233 will be barely adequate for audio recording -- you won't be able to get more than a couple of tracks going. It will do a great job, though, as a sequencer running Cakewalk or something, and can work together with a stand-alone recorder with a MIDI interface. (Of course you'll need a MIDI interface on the PC too.) If the PC has a soundcard you can also use it to edit tracks offline.

-AlChuck

first I was also a fan of standalone machines...

But now I reoncidered. Now I'm using a Pc and don't have much problems. A standalone you'll get easily stuck: I mean when you want to upgrade you gotta buy a whole new machine, while PC's upgrade much more easily.

that's my point of view:-)

greetings

brett

Back