Computer based system question

MSG_VT

Is there a need for a mixer, ie Mackie 1402 .. if I get a really good sound card w/ interface?

And lets say running a good software mixing program like Cakewalk?

Specs:

PIII 450
768 MB RAM

and lots of HD space..

i'm trying to avoid overspending..

It depends on what you are going to be doing and what type of flexibility you need. Most soundcards only offer 2 preamps if any so that is usually the major concern.

Basically I want to record stuff for our band.
We're on a low budget, but yet I dont want too crappy quality.

So like say I got the Aardvark (10in 10out) which costs like 600 bucks... is that good enough..

Basically I want to get something that is ALL in one good so i dont have to buy too much stuff

so if I have to get a decent soundcard + decent mixer combo then what do you suggest? or can i just get just a really good audio interface and not have to worry about it.

2 tracks for drums

1 - guitar
1- bass

and vocals..

thanks..

An Aardvark Q10 would do the trick (built-in preamps). You could get by without the mixer. 600 bucks? I thought they were still goin' for $750.

Don't skimp on the software (I'd look into Cubase SX or Sonar), and you should be good to go (assuming you've already got decent mics).

Keep in mind, with a slow CPU (like mine), you're going to be a bit limited on the realtime effects you can use at one time. This just means that if you run out of CPU, you'll have to print the effects to the track (after backing it up). Make good use of master sends (instead of too many track inserts).

ahh laymens terms.. please. :)

Tell me the difference between a master send and a track insert?
Would it be cool if I get a Mackie 1402 ( i really like and hear good things about it ) and a decent sound card / interface? i'm currently running a sound blaster 128 bit..

I saw some Mackie's for 400 bucks on ebay which is cool..

So would a Mackie 1402 and a Delta 4in 4 out card do the trick?

Tell me the difference between a master send and a track insert?
If you think of it in terms of a mixer it's easy. Track inserts are like having a effect for each track. Master sends apply effects to a bunch of tracks (each track has a knob for how much volume you want send to the effect).

So would a Mackie 1402 and a Delta 4in 4 out card do the trick?
Yes, it would work but there are pros and cons on both sides. Here's a few off the top of my head:

AARDVARK:
--Pros:
Cheaper
Nice built-in preamps
You can record 10 tracks at once (instead of 4)
Arguably better pres' than the Mackie
Arguably better D/A converters than the Delta 44 (not the 1010)

MACKIE/DELTA 44:
--Pros
More flexible routing options (i.e., you could use it to mix with)
You could use outboard gear for mixdown

Now does the AARDVARK have XLR inputs?

All of my mics have XLR connections..

So I guess I would have to buy some converters , or different mic cables to support the 1/4 inch?

thanks dude, you 've been LOTS of help..

I think I might get one pretty soon..

Now as far as mics, I hear alot about sm 57s

affordable, and sounds good..

i'll probably even use them for vocals too

I'm thinking when we record, we 'll do instruments first...

then i'll do vocals

So heres my thing

I'm gonna mic the guitar
Can I hook a bass up direct?

I have a 3 peice drum set :

mic the snare ( sm - 57 )
mic the floor tom ( sm - 57 )

cymbals? i dont know what to mic but I have 2 crash cymbals, ride , hihats

and what about a kick?

i'm already spending 800 on a kick ass interface.. now i'm working on a 1000 budget...

help me out :)

thanks again

so i guess so far i'm gonna get 3 sm 57's

Now as far as mics, I hear alot about sm 57s
affordable, and sounds good..
i'll probably even use them for vocals too
57's are great. Good choice. You might want to consider a nice condenser for vocals though. This is something you can do later on though - you'll still get decent results with a 57

I'm gonna mic the guitar
Good choice (IMO)

Can I hook a bass up direct?
Yup. Some folks like to run it through a processor first, but I like to run it direct.

As far as mic'ing the drums, you'll probably get some good info with a few searches. There's a lot you can do, but one of the basic tried & true methods are "Kick, Snare & a Pair". Mic the kick, mic the snare, and use 2 overheads. Again, there's some great detailed info on this in quite a few posts on this board.

Getting a good drum sound is one of the most challenging things you'll deal with, and it deserves the research & experimentation time to see what works best for you.

Best O' Luck to ya, and don't forget to have fun with it :D

Sorry to chime in here
Seanmorse79 is giving you good advice and all.

I just wanted to bring out the posibility of maybe getting Delta 1010 and a mackie. The upside is that you can use the mixer for live work too.

On the mics thing from what I gather on the BBS you can get two ecm8000 to mic the drum set and use sm57 for the kick and then for vocal. Just some more things to consider. Check the drum forum there is good thread for micing drums with three mics.

cheers

Seanmorse79 said:

57's are great. Good choice. You might want to consider a nice condenser for vocals though. This is something you can do later on though - you'll still get decent results with a 57

As far as mic'ing the drums, you'll probably get some good info with a few searches. There's a lot you can do, but one of the basic tried & true methods are "Kick, Snare & a Pair". Mic the kick, mic the snare, and use 2 overheads. Again, there's some great detailed info on this in quite a few posts on this board.

Getting a good drum sound is one of the most challenging things you'll deal with, and it deserves the research & experimentation time to see what works best for you.

A really good mic is the Rode NT1 (http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/love.music?p=p.EVENT1&z=1430970460162)... It's at $200, and is a large diaphram mic... It's a good "entry-level" studio vocal mic... I'm probably gonna' snag me one of these, unless I can get a used NT2 or something comparable for cheap.

As for the drums, getting a good drum sound, yes, is a pain in the neck. Count on spending a LONG time getting the right drum sound. The aforementioned "kick snare and a pair" works, yes... However... if you're doing any sort of rock music, I've found (in my limited experience) that a kick, snare, possibly toms (not neccessary), and the HI HAT is a good bet in addition to the two overhead mics. We recorded our drums with an inexpensive Nady kit, micing the kick, snare, and three toms with the Nady mics (oh. for future reference... the Radio Shack "instrument" mic for bass/kick/low-end micing is not as responsive to the low end as the equally inexpensive Nady kick mic), and mic'ed the hat with an SM57, I think it was, and used two condenser mics for the overhead (we had lots of cymbals), and it allowed us to get a sweet sound... It worked for our purposes. Experimentation is the best...

Back