Compressing

Rhino_Rick

So I've read a lot the last few days.

Every says to run a bass through the compressor.

How in the 'ell do you do that? I'm using Cubase and I've got a ton of plugins for it.

If I go to the bass track, click "INS" (Insert?), turn it on and select dynamics and set up the compression, when does it actually compress? Every time I run the track? Or can I press a button that says "COMPRESS THE DAMN THING", it compresses, and then I don't need to anymore?

I'm a little confused. See my situation? I want to see the results. I want to pop down there and check out the wav files for it when I'm done.

Thanks guys.

-Rick, Detroit

Rhino_dick?

I actually don't know the answer to your problem, but with this reply it's up in front again. Sure many people will read it again and might answer this time.

Well, you should probably do a search in this BBS for compression. You need to understand how the different controls work (ie threshold, ratio, attack, release) cause a compressor aint just on or off. I bet the default threshold on your plug-in is set too high so the compressor is never triggered. Set the threshold based on the overall level of the track, the lower (more negative) the more compression. Set the ratio to something fairly modest to start (maybe 4:1 or less) - the higher the first number the more compression. Messing with the attack and release with then either make it punchier or smoother or whatever. The amount of compression and specific settings really depend on the performance, tracking job and style of music - compressors are arguably the most difficult effect to master. And there is no rule that says you MUST compress your bass tracks anyhow. As far as your other question, your plug-in should compress in real-time. You can, however, destructively compress a track too. But this won't allow you to tweak the settings very effectively. I don't use cubase so I can't help you on the details of setting up the effects, sorry.

http://24.61.136.253/Compression.html

A good basic compression article by Shailat...

As far a Cubase is concerned I don't use it either - but if it is anything like Cakewalk or Logic* you should be able to add it into your mixer either on the individual track or at the buss you route it to...

(A set of small rectangular boxes above the faders)*

Try right clicking or left click and hold on a box and see if it brings up a prompt.

Once you add it - it will compress during playback and mixdown. Unless of course you choose bypass... :D

Back