complete newbie needing advice

recordergirl

Hi all,

I am a singer, however, I always have these song melodies in my head which would fit perfectly with my singing. I want to start making the music/ instrumental myself... is there any kind of app that I can download which lets me make and record a backing track?

thanks for your input :)

Loads of them. But understand that you'll need a fairly extensive musical knowledge to use any of them, as you basically need to know how to play every instrument you'll use... At least "virtually" speaking...

There is a product called voice band by wave machine labs. There are some promos on YouTube. Basically you sing into it, and it can do guitar parts, bass parts, drums. Don't know how easy it is. It could let you fool around and try some things. If what you are looking for is something magic that will turn out professional quality tracks, I would just stop now. There are chord progression generators and such, but all you're going to get out of those is something you could give to some musicians as a starting point.

Why not just sing those other parts as well. If you use a mac, you can record your 'lead' vocal in GarageBand, then add your 'backing vocals' whilst monitoring your lead vocal. You can add multiple melodies, slap your leg for a drum beat, there's a click track you can keep time to. You can add cool voice effects to mellow stuff out, etc. and there are loops that you can use for drum beats.

If not on a mac, well somebody here inform, as to what free software is out there for multitracking vocal on PC platform.

Try to record in 24 bit if you can, rename your files as you make changes, backup your work! Best of luck! Post your work here when you get a completed song, I would like to hear it! - Jonny D

Back