Complete newbie here

farmertom311

hello all

I am just getting into home recording i have the scarlett solo and pro tools first pack. i have spent some time and learned how to mic my amp and record my amp to pro tools but I want to know if i can plug directly into my interface with my guitar and record to pro tools first? I think its called an amp sim? are those available for the setup I have? If so how do i get them

thank you
God Bless

oh i may have many questions as this journey progresses so my apologies in advance

hello all

I am just getting into home recording i have the scarlett solo and pro tools first pack. i have spent some time and learned how to mic my amp and record my amp to pro tools but I want to know if i can plug directly into my interface with my guitar and record to pro tools first? I think its called an amp sim? are those available for the setup I have? If so how do i get them

thank you
God Bless

oh i may have many questions as this journey progresses so my apologies in advance

Welcome, and yes. You have everything you need to plug in direct and use amp sims. Just be sure you have the ASIO drivers installed (assuming you're on a Windows PC) for your interface for live monitoring without a bunch of latency. There are lots of options in the amp sim world, a lot of which are free.

Last edited:
Welcome, and yes. You have everything you need to plug in direct and use amp sims. Just be sure you have the ASIO drivers installed (assuming you're on a Windows PC) for your interface for live monitoring without a bunch of latency. There are lots of options in the amp sim world, a lot of which are free.

Pardon my ignorance but where do I get the plugins. And how do I get them into to pro tools.

Thanks

Most of them will be installed as plugins in your DAW. Ignite amps has a nice free amp plug called Emissary as well as some pedal emulations, pre-amp/power amp amulations, etc. IGNITE AMPS - Engineering for the moshpit

Also, there's the LePou plugins.

VST 4 FREE -
Free Audio Plug-ins Archives : LePou

There's also BiasFX/BiasAmp which are not free but sound great and are reasonably priced.

Bare in mind that many amp sims also need to be chained into an IR loader (cabinet emulator) used with what are called cabinet impulses to function/sound properly. These amps also need to be treated like you would a real amp in the real world meaning, for instance, if you want a tight metal sound from, say, a Marshall type tube amp sim you will have to put a simulated boost of some kind (Tube Screamer/Maxxon 808 etc.) in front of it. You can, of course, also throw real stomp boxes between your guitar and interface.

The complexity, scope, and sheer combination of choices are too many to list here. But a few days of google foo and some reading up will help tremendously. Look for some demos on Youtube also.

Back