complete newbie here

forinstance872

hi guys .. i play guitar and sing with few years now and want to start recording but have just no idea what so ever where to start... want to record songs and instrumentals to put on cd and you tube ... i have a video camera .. but thats it .... budget be relatively small as welll

What instruments besides vocals and guitar do you plan to record? You could start off with a Tascam or Fostex portable multitracker to get your stuff down on tape (or flash card or whatever) and build from there.

+1 on the zoom r16 ($400)

or a zoom h2 ($150)

I have an Emu 0404 USB ($200) interface that I really like. Also really like my Fostex MR16HD recorder, which you might find these days for $350, but for that price range, I'd get the newer zoom r16.

You are going to need a mic, mic stand, cable to go into either your interface+computer or your zoom R16/h2 recorder (although on these recorders you could use the on-board mics for awhile).

You can get the excellent Reaper audio recording software for $40 if you are using a computer. USB your zoom r16 tracks to the computer, or record directly into your computer with the interface+Reaper.

So one of your first decisions: Do I want to record onto a computer?

+1 on the zoom r16 ($400)

or a zoom h2 ($150)

I have an Emu 0404 USB ($200) interface that I really like. Also really like my Fostex MR16HD recorder, which you might find these days for $350, but for that price range, I'd get the newer zoom r16.

You are going to need a mic, mic stand, cable to go into either your interface+computer or your zoom R16/h2 recorder (although on these recorders you could use the on-board mics for awhile).

You can get the excellent Reaper audio recording software for $40 if you are using a computer. USB your zoom r16 tracks to the computer, or record directly into your computer with the interface+Reaper.

So one of your first decisions: Do I want to record onto a computer?
thanks for the replys every one ... well want to keep it as easy as possible .. my computer skills very basic .. was looking at the zoom h4n model .. seems like very good device ... i just want to make cd s of myself singing and playing guitar and videos for you tube ,, that my initial motivation .. after that i dont really know .... is recording onto a computer necessary for all that ...

Back