Complete beginner

justcallmesir

Hi

I am learning to play piano and studying music theory. I have just achieved my grade 8 theory of music - and while doing grade 7 I got interested in writing songs. I have not got very far since then.

I have just re-lit my fire for writing and recording music. I am completely new to recording and song writing and don't know the right end of a mixer from a mic. As time goes on I will add to this thread (as my home studio grows).

For now I suppose 'hello' and a few general basic beginner pointer for setting up a home studio would be useful. Also if you know a good place forum for 'song writing' that would be good.

Regards

Richard

Hope to make many friends and make sweet music.

Welcome to the world of home recording. Get ready for a crazy roller coaster ride that can destroy your sanity and your bank account. I'm just kidding a little to break the ice. However, it can be frustrating at times and depending on your goals it can get quite expensive. The best advice anyone could give you at this point is do some research before you take any other steps, there is a lot more to recording than just sticking up a mic or two and hitting the record button. The best advice I can give you is do your homework before you go shopping for gear. Salespeople usualy know more about how much comission they are going to make than they do about the products they are selling. (I wish someone would have given me that bit of advice before I bought my first recording set up.) Dan

Back