Commonly used sayings that should be song lyrics?

If you don't get a lot of wind, recording outside might work, but at the same time, outside is pretty noisy.

If I want a really dead, dry sound, I go to my bedroom and open the double wide closet. Put the chair between the doors with me facing out. The bed and drapes deaden things in the room, and the clothes in the closet do the same.

Think about it... Deep Purple recorded Machine Head in the hallways of a closed hotel in the middle of winter. They threw up mattresses and blankets to isolate and control the sound. You just need to learn what works in your situation.

ian-paice-1971-machine-head.jpg

Machine heads drums were that close to the wall! NO? I always looked at those photos with skepticism. What is outside of the frame. What take.

I am now moving everything to the center of the room. Thinking there is some benefit.

Last edited:
Ok, how's this one.

I've been working on getting this little shortie down. Keep forgetting the words (old age?) so this morning, I set up a couple of mics (Studio Projects B3 on guitar at 12th fret and MXL V67G for vocal). I did a few hand claps so you could hear the "echo" of the room (basement, 2 paneled walls, 2 stucco, carpet and drop ceiling... nothing fancy).

That's WAY better sound than I get from MY V67G. What's your pre?

Robert Frobisher: I understand now that boundaries between noise & sound are conventions. All boundaries are conventions, waiting to be transcended.One may transcend any convention, if only one can first conceive of doing so.

Sonmi-451: Our lives are not our own, we are bound to others, past and present. And by each crime and every kindness, we birth our future.

Archivist: What if no one believes your story?
Sonmi-451: Someone already does.

That's WAY better sound than I get from MY V67G. What's your pre?

I don't have anything fancy. The mics were plugged straight into my Tascam 16x08. Gain was about at 50%. I was singing about 10 inches from the mic. That went straight into Reaper at 88k. I was even playing around and have the buffer set down to 24 samples. Reaper is showing 4.7ms for the RT latency with no skips. I guess the V4 drivers are really working well.

This is the same acoustic, from the others, but I switched to the NT-1A. This is from 12" away between the 12th and sound hole.

All setting on all these are at 0 or neutral. No effects. No pad. I put the gain in the middle as suggested.

20200529_171541.jpg

NT1AsameAcoustic by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Is this better results than the P420 on Omni? I used omni mode thinking my voice and the instrument were different sources and I wanted all to be recorded. Omni = all.

Love is like a story book story , but it is real as the feelings I feel.

Last edited:
That sounds much better, better control and more air on the highs. I think its closer to what you want. You just need to play with the mic to find the sweet spot for that guitar. FWIW, mine is a Taylor 310ce. I like the Taylor sound vs a Martin because they are a bit more "crisp"

I didn't even consider putting the B3 into omni mode. I have used the pair before in MS configuration but that was years ago.

That sounds much better, better control and more air on the highs. I think its closer to what you want. You just need to play with the mic to find the sweet spot for that guitar. FWIW, mine is a Taylor 310ce. I like the Taylor sound vs a Martin because they are a bit more "crisp"

I didn't even consider putting the B3 into omni mode. I have used the pair before in MS configuration but that was years ago.

I used to have a Big Baby (I miss that guitar) that was great for being in a mix for that very reason. A slightly percussive crispness. I think using Elixers helped too. Something about that combination.

No on omni, ok. Sat I will get at it again. I moved everything into the center of the room to stop bass reflections. Switched to the NT-1a.

A video for Reaper VSTs was pretty interesting too. Are you familiar with using ReaXComp? It is a 4 band or more compressor, that can be used similar to the old dolby 362. It looks like that VST can help with the empty kitchen sound.

My acoustic is a peice of junk $90 Ovation. No matter.

20200528_210256.jpg

I've played some really nice Ovations years ago. You don't see them much around my neck of the woods anymore.

A couple of guys that I knew that played them said the great thing about an Ovation was that if it sounded good, it ALWAYS sounded good. It didn't seem to age like a lot of wooden guitars.

That Ovation has been travelled. I took it to the mountains. The coasts. Even the Islands.

If it was an expensive guitar I wouldnt have taken it. Man, to chill in the mountains. Playing my favorite tunes. Watching that big sunset behind the bigs.

Truth.jpg

Back