Cheap / Free drum programming software for metal?

mudomo

I just started recording guitar and would like some drums to put over my music. Is there any drum programming software out there that's cheap yet decent? I mostly play metal.
P.S. same question goes for guitar recording software :) currently using free version of guitar rig 5, not really diggin it.

That really depends on what you consider 'decent'. EZdrummer is cheap. Would I use it in a finished recording myself?-probably not. I use it often, well I used to for composition purposes anyway. Really easy to get simple beats into DAW.

Guitar sims are hit or miss, depending on the sound you are looking for.

All of the above are better sounding with the real thing mic'd. Though, you probably already know that that is not cheap to get decent either. :)

And welcome to the forum mudomo! \m/

What's lacking in EZDrummer, Jimmy? I know you know drum sounds better than I, so just trying to figure out what I'm missing here, being that I use EZD on everything.

To the OP, if you can afford it, Overloud's TH2 is awesome for metal. The presets are fabulous.

What's lacking in EZDrummer, Jimmy? I know you know drum sounds better than I, so just trying to figure out what I'm missing here, being that I use EZD on everything.

To the OP, if you can afford it, Overloud's TH2 is awesome for metal. The presets are fabulous.

From my experience, none of the snare samples included with EZD ever work in a good mix. Especially the DKFH set-which is typically purchased by the metal guys. EZDrummer lacks the quality sounding samples to make it worth using. Yeah, the snare sample cuts through, but it sounds like crap. The 'Room' mic track should be always deleted without blinking an eye. Whoever decided that was good should have been fired long ago. This is just my opinion, but look around, and you will find many others that have the same. I purchased AD and found almost the same thing. Even though there is more control over the samples, it still sounds robotic. I use Steven Slate Trigger to replace the snare samples on every track that I/or others use for AD or EZD tracks. The samples are way more natural sounding. Strange, using a live drum sampling program to replace fake drum samples, but it sure sounds better. BTW, I don't hear much love for Steven Slate Drums (VSTi program), so I am not sure if that would be better. I record live drums more than I program, so Trigger is the software that I use.

Then, I record live drums later anyway, so it really isn't an issue from my perspective.

Keep in mind, I am not disrespecting anyone's use of the program. If it works for you and sounds good to you, then by all means use it. It just does not IMO have the ability to fit into any of my mixes with any natural feel at all. Most listeners probably don't give a crap, but I can pick out a generic EXD sample quickly.

Again, 'Cheap Yet Decent" is what the thread is about. Defining 'decent' is all I am trying to describe from my experience.

Having just had Jimmy replace my Addictive snare and kick with Slate snare and kick on a track to work out whether to buy SSD, I can vouch for what he's saying re. the quality.

As the basic Slate pack is $99, yes you can get something for under $100.

Thanks for the explanation Jimmy, I do see where you're coming from. Live drums has never quite been an option here so I've had to make do with EZDrummer based on budget.

I just started recording guitar and would like some drums to put over my music. Is there any drum programming software out there that's cheap yet decent? I mostly play metal.
P.S. same question goes for guitar recording software :) currently using free version of 5, not really diggin it.

Get a Zoom G3 - they are not that expensive, you can use it live if you want, has great tones, and is a USB interface. Have seen alot of reviews that say it is not far behind the POD HD300/500. I find though that the gain is not very linear. You need to adjust it between 0-30% and they after that, you dont get much more or it is too much, but that you soon get used to.

Rock on!

Jonathan

I also vote for Steven Slate.
I find it not as intuitive as EZ or Superior and it lacks in functions (i personally do not miss), BUT it sounds great!
And you can't go wrong with 99$.

Back