CD compatibility issues

Jason M Hancock

Hi all, I understand that CDs which have been burned on the equipment that's generally available may not always play back on all CD players.

1. What's the background on that?
2. How do you determine what kind of CD you'll end up with from your burner and what kinds of systems it'll play back on?

Am I just making this up from some weird dream or is it for real?

Thanks!

Jason

Yes, it's true.

Some CD players are real finicky and won't play anything but manufactured CDs. If you burn to CDRW then you've eliminated most all CD players including many CD-ROMs in computers!

The good news:
Most AUDIO CDs burned on CDR will work in most CD players.

Also, make sure you burn your audio cd's in disc-at-once mode. That will help compatibility.

As Queue indicates, it more hit than miss - so you shouldn't have a lot of trouble.

Playable CDs

How do I transfer "WAV" files to a CD that will be playable on my Audio CD player? If I just copy the WAV files to a CD they will not play on the CD player. Suggestions?

This is interesting…
I just got done making some practice CDs for the kids in a play that I am working with and cut 50 CDs and every one of them seem to be working fine on every CD player that these kids have and I could imagine that they are as different a group as any.
All I did was get all of the music “recorded” as waves at 41,400 and 16bit Stereo. When I converted them to CD the software on my Sony Spressa writer did all the rest. I used Silver media 80 min. 12x rated CD blanks and that was what I got… It seemed to work for me. Iwould say that there does not seem to be a reason to buy the better CD blanks as these were more than OK.

The lasers on most CD players are not as sensitive as the lasers used on CD burners.

That's why your "burnt' CD's will play on newer Cd players and not the older/cheaper ones.

Steven S -

You need software to do this. Generally it is supplied with the CD burner. Adaptec/Roxio EZ CD Creator seems to be the most common.

If you simply copy wav files to a CD you are making a data CD of the wave files. Data CD's aren't playable in CD players. You want to make an audio CD, which will convert the wav files to audio tracks.

What CD burning software do you have?

Back