Can't raise microphone volume

Shanesays5

Hello. I purchased a Tascam US-4x4 interface for my windows 7 laptop. I'm hooking two dynamic xlr mics up to it. It took me three hours to figure out how to properly install the driver because even though it would install successfully, the Tascam panel and Audacity wouldn't read the device. Finally I disabled my anti virus and made sure to not have the interface plugged into the laptop during installation to get it to work. However, now the problem is that the volume is very low. If I turn gain knob on the interface ALL the way up, the volume is fine. But we know that's not the way to go. My computer won't let me raise the 4x4 connected microphone volume. It stays at 0, won't let me raise the volume, and won't let me manually type in the decibel level. PLEASE HELP. I'm losing my mind. Thank you so much in advance

Also, what are you judging as "too low"? Don't forget that in the digital world you want your levels to average around -18 with peaks in the -12 to -8 range on the meters in Audacity.

Couple that with the the fact that most dynamic mics are pretty low output and it's not unusual to have to run the mic pres in you interface turned up pretty high.

Are you saying that the recording level is too low, or is the listening volume too low.

That is two different things that are controlled by different controls.

As has been said, dynamic mics can have low output. Depending on the volume of what you are recording, you might need to have the preamp up pretty hi.

That Tascam AI comes with Cakewalk Sonar. Now I bought X1 Ess but did not like it much (son did) and I have not opened it this two year but see the attachment.

Where I have the Delta card for record and play you need the 4x4.

AFAIK Audacity does not support ASIO? You need ASIO drivers if you are to progress and tho I have not looked I am sure Tasco's will provide them and they are likely to be pretty good. Once the AI is running in Sonar with ASIO drivers Windows will have very little influence but since you had so much trouble getting setup I shall assume you are not familiar with the other adjustments you should do to a PC for optimum audio results?

Prime among these is to turn off Windows Sounds, those irritating bleeps and bloops. If you get any glitching or stuttering in the audio, defeat any Wireless gear and software.
There are many more "tweaks" you can do but Win 7 is pretty good as is. One thing, antiV software. I run Msoft Security Essentials on all my gear and it never gives me any trouble nor have I been infected. Other A-V software might no be so non-invasive.

Dave.

Attachments

• So9nar.png
    So9nar.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 55
What DAW are you using? Sounds like you may be using the Windows audio control.

I'm so grateful for al of the responses but I'm going to respon to this one first because I think it might be my problem (the most basic of basic). I AM trying to change the volume by right clicking the sound icon on my Windows tool bar at the bottom. Is that not the way? I use Audacity. Should I be changing the mic volume there instead? If so, how?

"Too low" as in if my gain is halfway up on the interface, the blue sound lines are barely-there blips. The blue sound lines (pardon my lack of vocabulary) aren't within a decent range unless the gain knobs are turned to the max. Even then, they aren't "too hot." Thanks in advance for your response

You should set your gain knob so the signal light is always on when singing into the mic and the peak lights hits only on extremely loud parts. For a dynamic mic, that probably means most of the way up, like Farview said.

Avoid Audacity if you can. Learn the DAW software that came with your interface. It is worth the time to learn it for future projects. When using the DAW software, be sure to use the ASIO driver that came with your interface. Don't rely on Windows.

I'll definitely try one of the LE DAW's the interface came with once I get this thing going, but in the meanwhile, when I go to edit -> preferences on Audacity, I don't have the option to select a host other than MME and two that have Windows in the title. Should one of the options say something about the Tascam? Would that be the correct ASIO and it not being one of the options means there's a problem? The US-4x4 shows up on the "Recording" and "Playback" drop downs, however.

See the meters top right?
Yours should be running about the same level (mine are actually a little hot) . It is quite likely that the gains controls on the Tascam will be close to, even at max with dynamic mics and certain sources. Speech for instance will need all the gain and a pretty close, like an inch, mic position.

But, although Audacity is a great freebie it is rather limited as a general purpose music making DAW. I strongly suggest you install the supplied Sonar or, if that is a problem, Google for and use Reaper.

Dave.

Attachments

• aud meters.png
    aud meters.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 48
So you're saying that it should be safe to have the gain on the interface itself be all the way up on a consistent basis (for the voice recording I'm doing) on these dynamic microphones?

So are you saying that it's safe for my gain knobs on the interface itself to be all the way up on a consistent basis (for the voice recording I'm doing) for my dynamic microphones?

The recording volume is too low. It barely picks the mic up unless I turn the physical gain knobs all the way up. Is that safe to do? Shouldn't there be a way to raise the microphone level on the computer? Because when I go to the sound icon in Windows and "levels" for the microphone, it won't let me adjust it past 0

I'm so grateful for al of the responses but I'm going to respon to this one first because I think it might be my problem (the most basic of basic). I AM trying to change the volume by right clicking the sound icon on my Windows tool bar at the bottom. Is that not the way? I use Audacity. Should I be changing the mic volume there instead? If so, how?

Not really. There'll be a way to boost or cut levels to make them fit in with your mix--but, once the mic signal has gone through your Tascam (mic pre amps and A to D converter) that's the digital level you're recording. Adjustments in Audacity (or other DAW) are playing with what you hear, not what's recorded.

"Too low" as in if my gain is halfway up on the interface, the blue sound lines are barely-there blips. The blue sound lines (pardon my lack of vocabulary) aren't within a decent range unless the gain knobs are turned to the max. Even then, they aren't "too hot." Thanks in advance for your response

With dynamic mics, particularly on speech rather than loud instruments or screaming metal singers, almost always need the mic pre amp on your interface turned most of the way up. That's normal. There are devices you can buy to boost the level between the mic and the pre amp (things like the Cloudlifter) but they're rarely needed. Just turn up the pre amp and, unless you're getting objectionable hiss, you're okay. (And even if you are getting hiss, make sure it's not starting right back at the mic.)

So you're saying that it should be safe to have the gain on the interface itself be all the way up on a consistent basis (for the voice recording I'm doing) on these dynamic microphones?

Yes. But see other comments above on what levels you should be aiming for. You do NOT want the waveform displays on your DAW anywhere near the top.

The recording volume is too low. It barely picks the mic up unless I turn the physical gain knobs all the way up. Is that safe to do? Shouldn't there be a way to raise the microphone level on the computer? Because when I go to the sound icon in Windows and "levels" for the microphone, it won't let me adjust it past 0

As said before, as soon as the signal passes through your interface, the recorded levels are set. You can tinker with them in the computer to improve your mix--but they'll still be based on the digital levels that you recorded in the first place.

Taking EVERYTHING you've all said into consideration, I have now come to terms with what's normal, which has made me realize it was working all along. I want to truly thank you all. I spent hours last night frustrated over this; my Saturday ruined - and you guys have made everything work out. Thank you very much, forum members :D

Back