Can't get any input to computer

Stratman95

Please excuse my ignorance to computer interfacing. I am sure my problem is a simple one, but I can't quite figure it out myself. I am trying to use the demo version of ProTracks to record myself playing guitar. I am plugging my guitar into my old digitech GSP7 guitar processor/preamp, and am running a cable from the headphone output to my laptop. I am not able to see any input doing it this way. The only input I have to my computer is the microphone input. Is this acceptable, or do you need another input other than the microphone input? I also tried with Windows sound recorder the same way and get nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance.

Double click the little speaker by the clock in the sys tray.
Click Options then Properties ... select Adjust Volume for "Recording" .... make sure the Mic input is check marked in the list for "show the following volume controls" ... click OK.
Now you will be looking at the volume controls for recording. Select the Mic In for the device and adjust the fader to get the optimum signal.

Thanks for your reply. I just checked it out and my microphone wasn't even selected. Now I can get sound in. I knew it was just a simple problem, but for some reason I couldn't wrap my brain around it. Now I just need to figure out the correct volume settings. Thanks again!

Not a problem ...
You may want to keep the Mic In level low and try to get the optimum signal going in from the digitech's volume control.
Most Mic In preamps on standard soundcards are rather crappy to say the least (lots of noise).

Back