Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you go from a 3.5mm dual L/R mono connection to a 3.5mm stereo male connection?

Thanks

Can you go from a 3.5mm dual L/R mono connection to a 3.5mm stereo male connection?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I know you can use an adapter to split a stereo signal into two mono signals, but can you use that same adapter and do the reverse of that. In other words combining two mono signals into a stereo signal?

The reason I'd like to try this is that I have a computer that I'm using to record music with, but i really don't want to purchase studio monitors for it. Instead I have a dual speaker system that's pretty good and has a 3.5mm stereo input for the one speaker (primarily for CD connection, or anything that can use the 3.5mm input). Then that one speaker splits the signal between it and the other speaker. So, I'd like to connect the left / right output of the computer sound card using an adapter ( 3.5mm dual mono male connectors to a 3.5mm stereo connector ). Then I'd simply connect the 3.5mm stereo male connector into the 3.5mm stereo input of the one speaker (which would split the stereo signal mono for each speaker. It sounds like it would work, but I'm hoping someone would know for sure if it's worth a try or not since I have no idea.
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Yeah, it's the same cable. I guess I'm curious what souncard/interface you're using that has two 1/8" holes for stereo output...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ashcat_lt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    When I go TO MONO, it has to be MONO on that end. When you put a MONO plug on a stereo cable, both signals go to tip

"I know you can use an adapter to split a stereo signal into two mono signals"
    A stereo signal is two MONO signals. What we would look to(speak of) as "Stereo", in this case, are the three-conductor plugs and jacks.

Normally, what you are looking for is a 3.5mm stereo plug on each end. The general computer sound cards only have 3.5mm stereo in and out Often labeled headphones and MIC. If your soundcard does have left and right out, then the mono to stereo Y-cable is what you want

Thanks
    I have the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi SB0460 7.1-Channel PCI Sound Card and after looking at the manual, well duh, I don't know what I was thinking about mono outs from it. Geez, it doesn't say much for my powers of observation. Thanks for the info and simplifying what I need to do. All I need then is a 3.5mm stereo cable to go from the sound card to the speaker. I guess I was just over thinking the problem.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Does the speaker have a volume pot on it? If not you will be forced to control level from DAW software, never a good idea.

A 10k stereo log pot in a tin is beer into water to make and gives you control when (not if!) the digital system goes White Noise Ape Shit at 3am.

Dave.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 907 Posts
    Ah yes...White Noise Ape Shit.
    One of those technical terms that you learn and then never EVER forget.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,027 Times in 907 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcduke View Post
    I have the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi SB0460 7.1-Channel PCI Sound Card and after looking at the manual, well duh, I don't know what I was thinking about mono outs from it. Geez, it doesn't say much for my powers of observation. Thanks for the info and simplifying what I need to do. All I need then is a 3.5mm stereo cable to go from the sound card to the speaker. I guess I was just over thinking the problem.
    We've all done it!
    Just make sure you use a TRS 3.5mm. If you don't know, that means three silver or gold contacts separated by two coloured (usually black) bands.
    ---------- Steenaudio Website ----------

Thanks
    hah. I don't have a lot of luck reading the symbols found sound blasters, and now, you got 7.1 to decipher. Of course, they may expect you to have the Creative speakers with all the right colors on the leads

Thanks
    Isn't that noise just cheap amp circuits. I've never had it : )

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by garww View Post
    Isn't that noise just cheap amp circuits. I've never had it : )
    No, it is a digital sound system going nuts. You can also get the level slammed to 0dBFS and most of us will have plugged around and gotten feedback?
    It is for THESE times that you need an analogue volume pot to dive for especially if Mr Grumpy next door has a retraining order out on you for being a noisy illegitimate in the wee smalls!

Dave.

Thread Information