Can I work with a computer that has an integrated sound card?

schulteboy

I am a computer novice and a penny pincher. I have a nice analog 16-Track recording setup but I want to try mixing and mastering on a PC.

I understand that computers with integrated sound cards are not conducive to musical applications, but those computers are sooo much cheaper. . .

Can I buy a PC with integrated sound and add on a cool soundcard? Is USB an answer? Should I pay an extra four hundred bucks to get a computer with a Soundblaster that I am going to replace anyway?

Ultimately, just want a cheap system with decent A/D conversion, so that I can make CDs from some Garage Rock tapes. I am oblivious to midi. I only need two audio inputs. Thank you.

onboard sound can always be disabled in the BIOS and easier yet sometimes you dont need to- just leave it on next to your other better card- the biggest problem with onboard sound ive seen is that they are SOOOO incredibly noisy- so get what you want and add your own sound card or usb interface- dont pay extra for a soundblaster- they're not much better than onboard

Certainly paying $400 for a soundblaster that you are going to replace is absurd (there has to be more difference than that). Personally I am a fan of USB devices because it puts your conversion away from the rest of the noise of the computer (electrical and physical), it removes the computers audio card completely from the equation, and you can easily move it to another computer, use it remotely, whatever. I like that flexibility personally.

I am intrigued by USB for the same reasons (portability more than anything). Is there anything that I should keep in mind if I am considering USB interfaces? Anyone willing to endorse a particular product?

Again, I am mainly interested in converting analog sound to digital and MIDI is not a concern.

With regular USB devices, you are pretty much limited to no more than 2-4 simultaneous audio tracks, but that should be OK for your needs, if you are just transferring a stereo mix to the computer.

schulteboy said:
I am intrigued by USB for the same reasons (portability more than anything). Is there anything that I should keep in mind if I am considering USB interfaces? Anyone willing to endorse a particular product?

I'm quite satisfied with my MBox; I don't get to use it much anymore, but it is a great little deal.

Back