can i use my laptop keyboard to "play" ezdrummer

deadmansshoes

So I didn't know whether to post this in the drums or MIDI forum so I'll start here. Basically I'm using cubase4 and ezdrummer and just programming the drums. I have a MIDI keyboard but its pretty old school and doesn't want to play with my laptop. Even if it did I'm only using fast track usb 1.0. So my question is can I use my laptop keyboard to program samples in order to do things quicker. My set up is very basic I know and yes my laptop is weak sauce and my budget is zero, any suggestions?

You'd have to have a MIDI program that would map from the standard keyboard to a QWERTY keyboard, I don't think EZD will do that by itself.

I'm using cubase4 and ezdrummer and just programming the drums. I have a MIDI keyboard but its pretty old school and doesn't want to play with my laptop. Even if it did I'm only using fast track usb 1.0. So my question is can I use my laptop keyboard to program samples in order to do things quicker. My set up is very basic I know and yes my laptop is weak sauce and my budget is zero, any suggestions?

What interface are you using to get the midi signal into the laptop? Even an old midi keyboard should work fine with cubase. Although you do have to set up the midi source in cubase (it may already be defaulted to all midi) - at the most basic, all you need is a midi-to-usb cable (ebay < $20) which is what I use to get midi in from my drums and ASR-10 (20 year old keyboard).

the ezdrummer will work, it maps to a keyboard.

Yes you can, you don't need an interface to run cubase or ez drummer.

Also, I'm not sure if LE has it but cubase 5 does have a qwerty midi keyboard.

Or as others have stated, you can get a cheap usb to midi converter to use a real keyboard.

I do have a midi to usb lead but never had any joy with it. So I'm using Bomes Mouse keyboard for now seems ok easy to use, and a midi yoke (which it took me 2 hours to realise I'd need) and I'm getting a midi signal on cubase so I know its working but I'm not getting any audio.

Set on Bomes as NO midi input-midi out yoke 1 then in Cubase midi track with EZdrummer VST Midi input Yoke 1-Midi out EZdrummer.

Any thoughts on that people???

Back