Can I use the Avid Recording Studio Fast Track with Audacity on my laptop?

MilkThatMoose

Hi, my Dad owned a bunch of recording gear that hadn't been used in a while and he ended up selling it all. I was given his Shure SM57 Microphone to use as I'm interested in doing my own recordings. I would of loved to have his Avid Interface along with the Protools software but I am happy with just being given a decent microphone.

Anyway, I'm now looking at getting the Avid Recording Studio Fast Track Interface.

I can easily get that and have Audacity on my computer (free software of course) and I was wondering, could I use the interface along with the microphone to record my guitar using Audacity?

I have done some research and from what I read Audacity does not support AISO drivers or something and the interface runs on that by default.

Or does that interface come with software I can use?

If anyone could help me that would be brilliant and if there's a way I could use that interface with Audacity then that would be brilliant.

Thanks

Google 'Fast Track(whatever model you have/had)'. You will find the driver downloads for the interface. Audacity uses ASIO drivers, just like every DAW will.

You might be best off reading the stickies here, and determining what it is that you actually need tho...

Welcome to the forum! Many of us are willing to help out when we can. :D

Hi again, I'm now looking at getting the Blue Microphones Icicle XLR to USB converter. I think it would be a more sensible option for what I will be using the mic for (which will mainly just be quick home recordings and also the making of YouTube videos) Anyone know this device and has anyone used it?
Also will I be able to use this with Audacity? I'm pretty sure I will but just thought I'd check!

Thanks.

It might be ok but there are a few things to consider.

Interfaces allow for good quality balanced audio output to monitors, and decent headphone outputs too.
There are exceptions but usually xlr to usb converters and USB mics don't do this.

This can cause problems because technically the usb mic/adapter is an interface, and so is your onboard sound card.
For simple youtube vids and absolute basic home recording maybe a USB mic with its own headphone output would do?

If you think there's even a chance that you might record in stereo some day or mic up two instruments/people at once, just start off with a capable interface. ;)

Thanks.

Yeah I'd love to get a decent interface but at the moment I really don't have the money (or get enough money) to invest in one of those. I got a decent SM57 mic and stand and payed £35 and would love to use it, so I don't know if getting a USB mic would be an option I would consider right now. Also my computer will not run more advanced recording software such as Protools, Sonar etc. so I really just need a simple device I can use to hook the SM57 up to the computer and use with something like Audacity, and so far this converter is my best bet at achieving that.

My recording gear literally just consists of the mic and the computer so as long as the quality is somewhat decent then I am happy, I'm not overly fussed about getting the best quality possible, as long as I have something to get me started then I am fine.

I've currently just been using the amp and Audacity, connecting the amp to the computer with the Emulated Out. Sound quality generally isn't the best, but I find ways around it (When recording the audio for my YouTube covers). So just getting something to use the mic with would be a step up for me (even if it is just a very small step).

Is there anything you would recommend otherwise?

Thanks a lot.

Hi again.

Would literally using a XLR to USB cable work fine? And all I want to know is would it just work? Would I be able to use that setup for my recording? Regardless of sound quality.

Usually if there are any special drivers you will find these on manufacturers website. Of course check before buying if the device is Windows 7 compatible.

I think I'll definitely go with one of those XLR to USB converters, seems like the best way for me to go. Probably go with that Blue Microphones Icicle. I don't think there are any drivers needed to be pre-installed before use which makes it a bit easier to get started. In terms of quality etc, it won't be as good as using a decent interface but it will be better than using the Emulated Out on the amp. Thanks a lot for your help.

Back