Can I run my Alesis Nitro Mesh via MIDI as a 3rd track in Ableton 10?

215MediaLive

I have the Presonus Studio 24C audio interface with 2 ins. 1/4 inch/XLR. I run my guitar and a mic for vocals using the 2 ins. What I want is to have (my Alesis Nitro Drum kit) all three connected at any given time to just play or track without having to unplug a device in order to insert the Alesis kit. I've always wanted a home studio and I finally have it! I'm also a drummer of 30 plus years who never was really able to play at home let alone record so now I can but I want to be able to pick up either device and just hit the power button without having to plug or unplug. I'm not sure if the MIDI outs on the Alesis will count as a sort of "audio in" full time. Thanks in advance for any advice and super stoked to be a part of this community.

You can record the Nitro's midi output while recording guitar and vocals through the 24C. You can do this with either a midi cable going from 24C midi out to 24C midi in, or going directly from Nitro USB to computer.

However, you would be recording midi data, not audio.

If you insert a drum VST on the recorded midi track, the midi will play the VST's drum sounds.

Alternatively, you can playback the midi through the 24C and back to the Nitro, or directly via USB, and the mid will play the Nitro, which you would be able to hear if it connected up to an amp.

Thanks Man.

You can record the Nitro's midi output while recording guitar and vocals through the 24C. You can do this with either a midi cable going from 24C midi out to 24C midi in, or going directly from Nitro USB to computer.

However, you would be recording midi data, not audio.

If you insert a drum VST on the recorded midi track, the midi will play the VST's drum sounds.

Alternatively, you can playback the midi through the 24C and back to the Nitro, or directly via USB, and the mid will play the Nitro, which you would be able to hear if it connected up to an amp.

You kinda hit the nail on the head. The stock kits in the brain leave a little to be desired for sure so in the back of my mind I was picturing using a VST plug in as the "kit" and track it that way. Something I forgot to mention I guess was just being able to play. If I wanted to sit behind the kit and hear it through the monitors to just jam out and play I'd run the mono out of the Alesis into input 1 on the Presonus and have it play out loud through Ableton without tracking anything, just to be able to hear myself play through the monitors. It's been so long since I tried to set up a mini studio at home and my goal is to just hit "power" and everything works. If I want to play guitar or track it... it works. If I wanna track some vocals on the spot either for real or "had quite a few" late night rants (which turn out to be pretty dope sometimes lol) I wanna just be able to do it. Since I use Ableton as my audio for the Alesis when I practice I was thinking I could just run it MIDI full time so if I'm in the mood to just play I could or if I want to track on the spot I could as well. An interface with more i/o's would solve this issue lol but I'm trying to make do with what I have since I just bought the Presonus. Cheers!

So, you are 'double handed' for drums and guitar. How about keyboards? (bear with!)

You could look around charity shops and cash converters for a small synth that has MIDI ports* thus the Alesis derives sounds from the gash kbd and you feed that to monitors.

And I know I shall be burned but a small mixer would sort you out I am sure. Our Cash Gen' always had a couple of those kicking around.

*even a music shop? Might have something with damaged keys? You just need the sound generator part.

Dave.

Back